Michigan International Speedway

Banking/Turns: Oval
Distance: 2.00 miles
Shape: Oval

Most Cup Wins (since 1975)

* Bill Elliott 7

Sprint Cup Sunday 1:00 P.M. ESPN

Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse
6/13/10 Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips 400 Kurt Busch Denny Hamlin Toyota $5,129,955
6/14/09 LifeLock 400 Brian Vickers Mark Martin Chevrolet $5,282,675
8/16/09 Carfax 400 Brian Vickers Brian Vickers Toyota $5,279,259
6/15/08 LifeLock 400 Kyle Busch Dale Earnhardt Jr. Chevrolet $5,243,196
8/17/08 3M Performance 400 Brian Vickers Carl Edwards Ford $5,239,780
6/17/07 Citizens Bank 400 J.J. Yeley Carl Edwards Ford $5,137,383
8/21/07 3M Performance 400 Jeff Gordon Kurt Busch Dodge $5,138,579
6/18/06 3M Performance 400 Kasey Kahne Kasey Kahne Dodge $5,037,040
8/20/06 GFS Marketplace 400 Jeff Burton Matt Kenseth Ford $5,028,926

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dodge Motorsports NSCS Race Advance - CARFAX 400 - Michigan International Speedway

BROOKLYN, Mich. , Aug 11, 2010 - For Immediate Release
Dodge Motorsports NSCS Race Advance
CARFAX 400
Sunday, Aug. 15, 2010

THE DODGE BOYS
• Dodge has 207 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series victories.
• Dodge’s most recent win came at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Kurt Busch led 252 of 400 laps en route to victory in the Coca-Cola 600.
• Dodge has claimed two Sprint Cup victories in 2010.
• Dodge teams have posted 47 wins since the manufacturer’s return to NASCAR’s premier series in 2001 after being out of the sport since 1977.
• Dodge has posted wins each season since it’s return in 2001 including seven wins twice (2002 and 2006).

DODGE AT MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY
• Dodge has won nine races at Michigan International Speedway (Charlie Glotzbach, Richard Petty (2), Sterling Marlin, Ryan Newman (2), Jeremy Mayfield, Kasey Kahne and Kurt Busch.
• Busch started from the pole at MIS in June, his first at the two-mile track. It was his second pole of 2010.
• Busch won the rain-shortened race in August 2007 after starting 15th. He has two wins at MIS and seven top-10 finishes in 18 starts.
• Dodge has the MIS qualifying record of 37.069 seconds, 194.232 mph (Newman, June 2005).
• A Dodge has started from the pole in five of the last 15 races at MIS (Newman – 2, Mayfield, Kahne and Busch).
• Dodge’s highest driver finish at MIS in June was a third by Busch.
• Busch has started in the top 10 in the last three races at Michigan.

MICHIGAN INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY FAST FACTS
• Roger Penske was the primary owner of MIS from 1996 to 1999.
• Dodge’s Kurt Busch (99.5) has the fifth-highest driver rating at Michigan.
• In 83 starts at Michigan International Speedway, Penske Racing has six wins along with 3 top-five and 31 top-10 finishes.

DID YOU KNOW?
• Dodge’s Brad Keselowski and father Bob are two of eight drivers from Michigan who have won an event in one of NASCAR’s three major touring series (Brad – 1 Cup, 9 Nationwide and Bob – 1 Camping World Truck).
• Kurt Busch gained three positions in the Sprint Cup driver standings after his runner-up finish last weekend at Watkins Glen.
• Only three of the last seven races at Michigan were won from a top-10 starting position.
• First Dodge NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Win: Lee Petty, 2/1/53, West Palm, Fla., 100 miles, .5-mile track.
• First Dodge NASCAR Sprint Cup Win at Michigan: Charlie Glotzbach from the pole in the August 1970 Yankee 400.

KURT BUSCH – INSIDE THE CHASE NUMBERS
• Busch is currently fourth in the Sprint Cup standings, 318 points out of first and 251 ahead of the driver currently in 13th (Mark Martin).
• Busch has 11 wins at the four tracks hosting events leading up to the 10-race Chase: Michigan – 2, Bristol – 5, Atlanta –3, Richmond – 1.
• Busch’s average finish at the four races leading up to the Chase cutoff are; Michigan – 19.4, Bristol – 13.2, Atlanta -18.7 and Richmond – 17.8.
• Kurt Busch (8.9) has the second-highest average starting position this season (Jimmie Johnson – 7.7).

ENGINEERING TALK
"The second trip to Michigan this year will be an opportunity for teams to either build on the success they had here in June or throw away that setup and try something new. Either way, Michigan will still be the toughest test of the year on engine components that are strained to their limits on this long, smooth, and wide open track."
Howard Comstock, Dodge Motorsports Engineering

DODGE MOTORSPORTS QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“We have such a great relationship with Ralph Gilles and all the folks at Dodge. They are super supporters of Penske Racing. We’ve been so proud to take Dodge to Victory Lane in the Atlanta and Charlotte point races and in the big Sprint All-Star Race. A win at Michigan on Sunday would be great for Dodge and super for Miller Lite and all our sponsors.”
Kurt Busch, No. 2 Miller Lite Vortex Dodge Charger

DODGE DRIVER QUOTES
“What we need is a win. We take those bonus points with us to the Chase. So, if we can win at Michigan, we’re going for it. Our point situation is comfortable, but we’re not locked in by any means. We still have to continue to play it smart.

“Last June, we just got a little bit tighter as the race track rubbered-in and as the race reached the latter part. We have to make the Miller Lite Dodge a little bit more adjustable and maybe not handle as good early, but be able to attack at the end.”
Kurt Busch, No. 2 Miller Lite Vortex Dodge Charger

“If your car is not perfect during a run, you can hunt around for a good line on track and there is plenty of room to pass at Michigan International Speedway. Because it is such a big track, the outcome of the race always seems to come down to fuel mileage. I feel that this Mobil 1 Dodge team plays that game pretty well, as well as any other team. If we have a strong car and the race comes down to fuel mileage, I feel that Sunday could be a really good day for us.”
Sam Hornish Jr. No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger

“I think the new spoiler affects us everywhere we go, with the exception of a Martinsville. It certainly made a difference in the first race at Michigan. The draft was a little bigger than normal. I think the racing through the corners was some of the best that we’ve seen. The overall top speed is slower, but the corner speed and grip is higher. It will be interesting to see how much we learned from that first race that we can apply as we go back a second time. I know that it’s been something we’ve really placed an emphasis on because I’m sure that racing will change again, for the better.”
Brad Keselowski, No 12 Dodge Charger

DODGE BOYS SPRINT CUP 2010 BEST

• Kurt Busch
Start – Pole - Las Vegas
Finish – Win - Atlanta, Charlotte 1

• Brad Keselowski
Start – Sixth - Richmond
Finish – 12th - Martinsville, Darlington

• Sam Hornish Jr.
Start – Second - Texas,
Finish – 11th - Pocono

• Laps Led (Race) Kurt Busch – 278 - Bristol

• Laps Led (Total) Kurt Busch – 807

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dodge Motorsports Teleconference Transcript - Ralph Gilles and Roger Penske
August 10, 2010 , AUBURN HILLS, Mich.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Q: Over the last week, the Chrysler Group announced that July vehicles sales were up 5 percent – which marked the fourth consecutive month of year over year sales increases and the company has achieved a positive operating profit of $183 million in the second quarter. We know the challenging times aren’t going away, but are these are some real positive signs?

RALPH GILLES (President and CEO of Dodge):

A: We’re really happy. We’re halfway through this year; this was our make-or-break year. We’re running right on track with what we thought that we’d do and our showroom is just now starting to show some new product with the new Grand Cherokee. These numbers don’t even reflect that positive boost and my brand (Dodge) is doing really well. The Dodge Journey has had its best month and the Challenger had its best month ever. So we’re seeing people get back into the showrooms, but a lot of it is our re-marketing. We’re really finding ways to reach new customers and get their confidence back.”

Q: Roger, Detroit and Southeastern Michigan is home for you and you have seen the importance of how the automotive industry has been a foundation to this community. As a former owner of the Michigan Speedway, can you talk about the importance of NASCAR racing in Michigan and what it means to the auto industry in general?

ROGER PENSKE (Chairman, Penske Corporation)

A: “Really, when you think about it, the one thing that NASCAR has been able to do, and one of my goals many years ago, was to have the biggest sporting event in the state of Michigan. NASCAR brings two events to Michigan, June and August, which in the old days we had 16,000 seats and today over 100,000 and over 160,000 attending these races. To me, it’s all about the spectators that we’re drawing not only from the Michigan area but from Canada. But of course the most important thing is that it’s the home track to Dodge, Ford and Chevrolet. You like to win that race and go home with that trophy because it really shows who’s in the game this time of the season. With the good news on Dodge and Chrysler’s numbers, it’s very important as we see automakers from the domestic side make great traction here the last seven months. It’s good for racing and our customers to see a little bit better environment. NASCAR is just so strong. People talk about that it’s off a little bit, but I can tell you we’ll have more (fans) than the Super Bowl every weekend at the tracks that we run at. I think business is pretty good.”

Q: Ralph, the last time we saw the Nationwide Series new car on the track, the Dodge Challenger swept the front row in qualifying at Daytona. It makes its second appearance on track this weekend….race fans and consumers have really flocked to this nameplate?

GILLES: “We’ve also, with Roger’s help, reached out to our partners that are racing with us and found ways to use our product in their commercials. When Discount Tire does a commercial, you’ll see a Dodge in the commercial and the same thing with Miller Lite. So we’re really finding new ways to market the cars and have NASCAR work for us beyond racing on the weekend, and it’s really working. Obviously, we have the new Nationwide car. It was an absolute hit. It went well with our new TV campaign that we had going on at the same time. Everything is starting to work as a system. When we bring motorsports under our wing, we really have it work for us versus just an exercise.”

Q: Any interest in expanding the Dodge Cup teams?

A: Roger and I are actually in discussion with what to do with our racing team going forward. I’m sticking with Roger and I hope that he’s sticking with me (laughs). We’re trying to do a lot of business moving forward and we’re excited about this year’s performance. It’s a lot better than what we both expected. Kurt (Busch) is kicking butt. Going forward though, I’m very intrigued on what Nationwide brings because unlike the other OEM’s, I’ve had two performance cars (Charger and Challenger) to market. I look at shining more light on Nationwide and maybe balancing that out. We’re seeing some great talent come to Nationwide. The promoters are doing a nice job with it. The fan base is growing stronger and stronger. I see the weekend as two combined events that we can use to our advantage. I would say not necessarily expand, but really till the soil of what’s already there.”

Q: Your opinion of Kurt Busch this year?

PENSKE: “As far as Kurt goes, we signed him up five years ago and he has really developed. As a driver, he’s always been a great driver. He was a champion (in 2004), but as I think of his MO today…when you look at Watkins Glen racing against (Juan Pablo) Montoya and the road racers who are so good and to see the car run as well as it did, it’s a credit to him. He certainly has matured. He understands that it’s a team effort and he’s looking forward (as the other two guys are) to continue to give us some more support. We’re committed to Dodge this year and next year and in the future. Kurt has been re-signed and we’re always looking for more performance, and we’re looking to get into the Chase. Right now, we just want to get (Kurt) in the Chase and not have to wait until Richmond. Overall, I’m very pleased with the job that he’s done. I think as we go forward in the future, with the support that Dodge is giving us, it will bode well for us.”

Q: What do you think of Kentucky Speedway getting a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race date?

PENSKE: “What’s happened is that Bruton (Smith) has made investments in Kentucky and New Hampshire and has multiple dates at some of the tracks. I think taking a date and moving it to Kentucky certainly is key. I think he’s committed to it and what he’s done at Charlotte, Atlanta and Las Vegas etc., has been terrific. I look at it as another place to run and market for us. He’s a good promoter.”

Q: What do you think of Auto Club Speedway losing a Cup date?

PENSKE: “The California situation is that you’re competing with so many things in California. I think when you load up Phoenix, Las Vegas and California at the same time, you may lose some of that fan base. To me, that was a decision that the Frances, and their speedway company ISC, took. That’s a decision that I can’t make. I have no input on that at all. Obviously, when we built the track, we had two (race) dates. I think that it’s a great market. Maybe because of the tough times that we’re having economically, it makes more sense that we have one big event and go forward in the future. We don’t make the schedule, we just race there. Different tracks are going to be good. They’ve changed some of the dates. I think there will be changes and they will be good from the standpoint of the competitors.”

Q: Are you concerned heading into the Chase that drivers looking for payback may spoil Kurt’s chances and create a situation where he won’t have a fair chance of winning races and the championship?

PENSKE: No. Look, my communication with him is that we leave it at the track, leave it at the event and let’s move on. I know that there’s always some dialogue that goes on. To me, these guys have to race each other not only this year but next year. I would be very disappointed if a driver took us out and I would not expect our driver to do that either. NASCAR has laid down the rules. We had the situation with Brad and Carl. We were disappointed with what happened at Pocono, but I don’t think that there is any reason that Jimmie (Johnson) was trying to wreck him (Kurt). I think the fact that there was a car next to him, the way that the air goes, he (Johnson) may have gotten into the side of the bumper, not straight on, and turned him. Those little things you talk about afterwards. Overall we need to keep cool heads. As a car owner I certainly try to convey that to my guys and I would expect Hendrick and Roush and Gibbs, Ganassi and Childress would say the same thing. If it’s deliberate, I think that NASCAR is ready to take action.”

Q: Where is the line in making the Chase to gimmicky and/or good changes?

PENSKE: “The Chase has worked. One of the things that I’ve said to Brian (France) and NASCAR is the top-12 drivers should get top-12 points. Even though you finish 35th, you would still get top-12 points and keep a lot more guys in it. Maybe people won’t like that. To me, that’s certainly a way to tighten it up and have five guys racing for it at the end. I think the idea of having the 10 points for each win is a good one. Overall, there are some thoughts of eliminating four drivers at the beginning. You could have an accident, a blown engine. I don’t think that we need to have eliminations. You might have the guy like Harvick that lead the season and all of a sudden he loses a motor, gets into an accident and he’s out of the Chase. I don’t think that’s the way to pay a guy who’s done so well for the season. I’d like to see the points, no matter where you finish, if you finish first you get the first-place points, if you finish 35th you get the 12th points against the 12 guys who are racing each other.”

GILLES: “I agree with Roger 100 percent. Like last year, the cream tends to rise to the top and you have some really good talent and the fans are really paying attention. It seems like a few Super Bowl’s in a row. I think that it would be wrong to eliminate some of the favorite drivers out there, so I agree with Mr. Penske.”

PENSKE: “And that hurts the sponsors too. A lot of this, if we can perform and end up being with the notoriety that you get when you’re in that top 12, I think that it helps the manufactures and also sustain our sponsors.”

Q: What is the status of sponsorship for the 77 next year? Sam’s future with Penske?

PENSKE: “We’ve said publically that we want to run Sam next year (in NASCAR); he’s not going back to open-wheel racing. He’s going to be in NASCAR racing. It’s a matter of us getting the sponsorship stuff together. As you know, budgets are tight. We’ve got a number of opportunities out there that we’re working on. That’s a decision that we’ll make as we get toward the end of the season and we’ll make it transparent to everyone.”

Q: Can you speak to the development of Justin Allgaier? When do you plan on giving him a shot at a Cup car? Is there any opportunity in giving Parker Kligerman more seat time?

PENSKE: “One of the things that’s difficult today in both the Nationwide and the Cup side is testing. It’s awful hard to bring a young man up, whether it’s Parker or Sam, not having the ability to test at the tracks that we race on. I think that there has been a lot of discussion that a team, they may be vouchers that a team has, can test at tracks that either you race at a couple days before or after. I think that will make a big difference, because then we can get some of these young guys into a race. Just to pop a guy into the Cup side overnight, without having any experience in those cars or testing at that track, is tough. As well as Brad’s running in the Nationwide (Series), he’s still getting his feet wet on the Cup side. And he’ll admit it himself that he needs to get the right setup and that’s the same thing with Justin. Parker did a great job for us in ARCA. There’s a chance that he might run a couple more races this year with us as we try and develop this Car of Tomorrow….Nationwide. We want to try and get more time in it before we get to next season. There’s still some opportunity there.”

Q: Can you tell us how this weekend’s Nationwide race fits in with marketing of the Challenger?

GILLES: “When I reviewed the race at Daytona, I noticed a lot of the bumper shots and it was amazing to me to see the front end of the Challenger just fill that (TV) screen. We got a lot of great feedback from our fans through our website…our Dodge.com website…about how much they loved it. Even the competitors, the Chevy guys were saying, ‘Man, that Challenger looked great on TV’. That’s always been the struggle for me, when I watch NASCAR the lineage isn’t quite as direct as I’d like it to be and I think the Nationwide Challenger brings that home. The fans at the end of the day are kings. When they respond like that, we pay attention big time. To see the car at MIS, our home track, I can’t wait. We’ll measure it. We’ll listen. We’ll have a lot of our own people there from headquarters to walk the stands, pit road and listen to people. We’ll chat with the average Joe and see what their reaction is. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that they like it. I think that everyone is paying attention and next year will be different when we run that body the whole year. It’s exciting to see the success so far. I’m not sure how much it had to do with it yet, but there is a lot of buzz about the Challenger all over even though the car is two years old now.”

PENSKE: “The dealers are really excited about the Challenger running in NASCAR because it’s something that (Dodge) sells. These are high gross margin vehicles that they love to sell. When you start to look at Camaro and Mustang and Challenger, these are icons in the business.”

GILLES: “Not to mention that these cars index super high with our customers. It’s exactly what turns them on. It all fits very well.”

Q: What are your thoughts on Atlanta losing a race? Do you think that fans in the Southeast will show any backlash towards NASCAR?

PENSKE: “I think that it’s strictly business. If you look at the weather patterns that we’ve had, you go back a number of years and look at that first (Atlanta) race and it’s a tough race. To me, just the general economy, I think when you think of filing the place up, are we better running in different markets? That way we get to see different fans and that’s important to NASCAR and our sponsors. Bruton and his team have decided that one race is better there and they have a feeling that they bought Kentucky for a lot less than they paid for New Hampshire, so the economics of having a race at Kentucky could be quite good for them and for their company. I don’t see it as a negative at all. As you start to see some of these tracks being purchased and having multiple ownership, they may move some dates around. I think Auto Club will be a similar situation. We need a big race in California, but do we need two in the same market?

Q: Do you see the sponsorship side of NASCAR getting any better? Where do you stand with Verizon for next year?

PENSKE: “From a sponsorship standpoint, all of us are battling out there to try and get sponsors. Everybody’s marketing budgets have been cut. A lot of people are going online to place their dollars. I think that we’ve been very fortunate to get the support we’re getting from Dodge and Miller and with Shell/Pennzoil next year, and we have Discount Tire. We’ve had Verizon and that’s still an open item with us for Nationwide next year. It just depends on where everything goes. Obviously, with the conflict with Sprint, it’s also difficult for them to not be on the main race on Sunday.

“We’re all investing. The product investment that Dodge and Chrysler has made overall and the other manufacturers have made is significant. They haven’t stopped, which people don’t understand. What we need to do is continue to see the traffic in our showrooms. There’s no question that July was a good month. This August is going to be a month versus “Cash for Clunkers” so it going to be a big month to beat what we did a year ago. We have to be careful that we don’t think that we’ve gone downhill if we don’t meet the “Cash for Clunkers” that we had last year. I think we’re seeing a little bit better market if you ask the business council. I think that they see a gradual increase (in sales). Interest rates are still low which is important to all of us. This whole thing is on consumer confidence and we seem to see automotive sales (increase) as consumer confidence gets better.”

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dodge Motorsports NNS Race Advance - CARFAX 250 - Michigan International Speedway
August 11, 2010 , BROOKLYN, Mich.
For Immediate Release
Dodge Motorsports NNS Race Advance
CARFAX 250

Saturday, Aug. 14, 2010 1:00 PM ESPN

Dodge in 2010 NASCAR Nationwide Series
* Dodge’s two NASCAR Nationwide Series entries from Penske Racing have combined for five poles and four wins along with 21 top-five and 31 top-10 finishes this season.

DODGE CHALLENGER RETURNS
• The Dodge Challenger returns to action this weekend as the “new cars” of the NASCAR Nationwide Series will compete for the second time this season. The Challenger will also race at Richmond and Charlotte this year before full integration in the series in 2011.
• Dodge Challengers swept the front row at the debut of the Nationwide “new car” at Daytona in July. Brad Keselowski earned the pole with Penske development driver Parker Kligerman starting second. Keselowski led twice and finished fourth at Daytona while Kligerman was 13th and Justin Allgaier, who led 11 laps, was 17th.

JUSTIN ALLGAIER – No. 12 Verizon Wireless Dodge
Highlights:
• Allgaier earned his first NASCAR Nationwide Series win this year at Bristol Motor Speedway, leading a 1-2 finish for Penske Racing and Dodge.
• Allgaier has one win, five top-five, and 12 top-10 finishes in 22 races this season.
• Allgaier sits fourth in the Nationwide driver standings heading into Michigan this weekend.
• Allgaier has only one previous start at MIS; he started 28th and finished seventh in 2009.
• Allgaier was the 2009 Nationwide Series Rookie of the Year.

BRAD KESELOWSKI – No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge
Highlights:

• Keselowski currently leads the Nationwide Series standings by 327 points over Carl Edwards. He has led the standings since his win at Talladega in April.
• Keselowski is the defending Nationwide event winner at MIS. He started 13th and led three laps en route to his fifth-career NNS victory
• Keselowski earned back-to-back wins at Talladega and Richmond. He leads the Nationwide Series in top fives (16), top 10s (19) and laps completed (4,037). He has only one finish outside the top 15 (Chicago – 21st).
• In Nationwide Series competition on speedways, Keselowski has three wins along with 29 top-five and 43 top-10 finishes in 73 starts. He has started from the pole four times.
• Keselowski has a NASCAR record 89 consecutive Nationwide Series races without a DNF (Did Not Finish).

DODGE NATIONWIDE QUOTES
“It goes without saying that a win at Michigan would be huge for our Verizon team. Roger Penske lives outside of Detroit and Dodge calls the area home. It would be monumental if we were to win at Michigan. The track itself is huge. It’s a fun track, but a challenging one due to the seams in the pavement. The track lacks overall grip, and that provides another challenge. I feel like this race will have a lot of interest as it is a race featuring the new Nationwide Series cars, and I think we, as drivers, will be challenged because we’ll have to drive differently given the new car configuration.”
Justin Allgaier, No. 12 Verizon Wireless Dodge Charger

“The biggest thing with the new Dodge Challenger this weekend at Michigan is that you don’t know what to expect. There isn’t much we can take from Daytona other than the fact that we know we’ve built some pretty fast race cars. We still need to keep working on it to make it better and better each time we run it. I’ve pointed to these races with the new Dodge Challenger as the wild cards in the championship battle. I’m happy with how we performed at Daytona and we need to ensure we stay on top of our game this weekend at Michigan. We’ve definitely hit a homerun with the look of the cars.”
Brad Keselowski, No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Charger

Records
Date Series Driver Speed

6/13/99 Sprint Cup Race Dale Jarrett 174.00
6/19/05 Sprint Cup Qualifying Ryan Newman 194.232
8/18/07 Nationwide Race Denny Hamlin 156.00
8/18/07 Nationwide Qualifying Greg Biffle 186.548
7/26/03 Camping World Truck Race Brendan Gaughan 154.00
6/18/05 Camping World Truck Qualifying Kyle Busch 181.612

Nationwide Series
Upcoming Race Aug 14
Carfax 250

Track Facts

Banking/Turns: Oval

Distance: 2.00 miles
Shape: Oval

Nationwide
Date Race Name Pole Winner Race Winner Make Purse
8/15/09 Carfax 250 Brian Vickers Brad Keselowski Chevrolet $1,232,690
8/16/08 Carfax 250 Carl Edwards Carl Edwards Ford $1,237,221
8/18/07 Carfax 250 Greg Biffle Denny Hamlin Chevrolet $1,216,807
8/19/06 Carfax 250 Mark Martin Dale Earnhardt Jr. Chevrolet $1,193,158

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aug. 11, 2010
New car, Danica return to Nationwide in Michigan

At Daytona, Ford showcased its popular Mustang, while Dodge introduced the Challenger, Chevrolet brought a new model of its Impala, and Toyota kept its standard version of the Camry.

NASCAR is allowing teams to test the car on the two-mile Michigan track in a full-day of practice on Thursday. Teams will practice again the following day for Saturday afternoon's 250-mile race.

Brad Keselowski, the current points leader, returns to his home track with hopes of defending his race title here and giving the new Challenger its first win.

"I think a lot of folks in this series that are competing with this new car are very lost," Keselowski said. "Even at Penske Racing with the resources that we have, it's kind of a free-for-all. So you've got to start somewhere. Fortunately, I have a good place to start with our success at Daytona having two strong cars that qualified on the front row. Hopefully, some of that will carry over."

Keselowski enters Michigan with a very comfortable 327-point lead over Carl Edwards, who the Nationwide race at Michigan in 2008.

After a month hiatus in the series, Danica Patrick returns at Michigan. Patrick last competed in the July 9 race at Chicagoland, where she finished a season-best 24th. The IndyCar star has run in five Nationwide races so far this year. After Michigan, she is scheduled to race at Dover, California, Charlotte, St. Louis, Texas, Phoenix and Homestead.

"I'm thankful for the extended practice sessions NASCAR has given us in Michigan on Thursday," Patrick said. "It's going to be nice to get out there and run these new cars. We've been talking about the new cars so much this year, and now I'll get a chance to shake one down. JR Motorsports has put a lot of effort into its new car program, so I'm hoping we can get the most out of it in Michigan."

Forty-four teams are on the preliminary entry list for the CARFAX 250.

Read more: New car, Danica return to Nationwide in Michigan - 08/11/2010 | MiamiHerald.com

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NASCAR Qualifying

Sprint Cup Sunday 1:00 P.M. ESPN

Last Updated: Friday, Aug 13, 2010 5:12 pm, EDT
Carfax 400

Order Driver (No.) Car Qualifying Speed

1 Kasey Kahne (9) Ford 187.183
2 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 187.086
3 Clint Bowyer (33) Chevrolet 186.577
4 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 186.572
5 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 186.461
6 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 186.350
7 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 186.268
8 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 186.176
9 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 186.167
10 Paul Menard (98) Ford 185.912
11 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 185.730
12 Mark Martin (5) Chevrolet 185.715
13 Kurt Busch (2) Dodge 185.596
14 David Reutimann (00) Toyota 185.596
15 Landon Cassill (09) Chevrolet 185.467
16 A J Allmendinger (43) Ford 185.419
17 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 185.333
18 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 185.290
19 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 185.276
20 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 185.071
21 Max Papis (13) Toyota 184.952
22 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 184.876
23 Elliott Sadler (19) Ford 184.867
24 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 184.776
25 Patrick Carpentier (26) Ford 184.729
26 Brad Keselowski (12) Dodge 184.634
27 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 184.615
28 Sam Hornish Jr. (77) Dodge 184.582
29 David Ragan (6) Ford 184.535
30 Bill Elliott (21) Ford 184.431
31 Scott Speed (82) Toyota 184.417
32 Travis Kvapil (38) Ford 184.341
33 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota 183.885
34 Reed Sorenson (83) Toyota 183.870
35 Robby Gordon (207) Toyota 183.744
36 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 183.439
37 Marcos Ambrose (47) Toyota 183.388
38 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 183.337
39 Tony Raines (34) Ford 182.764
40 Bobby Labonte (71) Chevrolet 182.454
41 P.J. Jones (7) Toyota 180.555
42 David Gilliland (37) Ford 179.798
43 Michael McDowell (55) Toyota 183.257
44 Mike Bliss (132) DNQ 183.136
45 J.J. Yeley (46) DNQ 183.038
46 Scott Riggs (66) DNQ 180.959
47 Casey Mears (36) DNQ 180.059

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NSCS Final Qualifying - Michigan 2

BROOKLYN, Mich. , Aug 13, 2010 - KURT BUSCH (No. Miller Lite “Vortex” Dodge Charger) Qualified 13th
"Not a bad lap for our Miller Lite Dodge. We were just a little too loose. The trend that the car is giving us is loose and we just didn't adjust enough for what the car needed."

BRAD KESELOWSKI (No. 12 Penske Racing Dodge Charger) Qualified 26th
"Just an OK qualifying run in the Penske Dodge. I thought we were going to be a little bit better than that. I was just a little but free. We were just a bit off in (Turns) 3 and 4 and didn't keep the momentum that we needed. Just too loose."

SAM HORNISH JR. (No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger) Qualified 28th
"Not a very good qualifying lap for us. We were just way too loose on our last qualifying and practice run and tried to tighten it up. It was still way too tight. Not the run we were looking for in our Mobil 1 Dodge."

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - Kurt Busch Open Interview - Michigan 2
August 13, 2010 , BROOKLYN, Mich.

KURT BUSCH (No. 2 Miller Lite Vortex Dodge Charger)

A FEW MORE RACES LEFT BEFORE THE CHASE, WHAT IS THE APPROACH OF THE 2 TEAM? “It was a good, solid run for us last week to bump us up in points. Really, points with the overall average where we’re fourth, three points out of third place and 47 out of ninth. It seems like the Chase has already begun with how close those points are. Basically, the points will reset in a few weeks and the only points that are important now are race win points (bonus points). Definitely going for it here in Michigan where we finished third in June. At Bristol, we finished third there in March. With an off-week , then Atlanta, then Richmond…I feel the next four weeks are really good tracks for us. I almost wish that the next four were part of the Chase. We’ll see how we start off with what we have going on this weekend with a brand new car; a brand new type of chassis and aerodynamic balance. We’ll see how we can fight through this weekend and create a pattern for what we’re going to do for the Chase. Hopefully, things go good. We had a couple hiccups with the new car in practice earlier today. Overall, I’m please with it, but still need to polish up on some of the loose ends.”

HOW DO YOU BALANCE THE HEAT OF THE MOMENT COMMENTS MADE OVER THE RADIO DURING THE RACE? “It’s definitely a heat of the moment situation and some teams handle it better than others. The situations that I’ve been in is where you’re out there trying to perform at your top level and when something comes in and works against you, a bad set of tires, a bad restart where you’re hung-up on the outside lane, you’re frustrated and you vent. I’ve had great crew chiefs though my years and I I’ve been able to weather it, just kind of let it roll off my shoulder. Nothing is personal; it’s just heat of the moment battle. An analogy that I told our team president about…he’s like, ‘Man, we have to work on that a bit.’ And now he’s trying to get (Helio) Castroneves calmed down. Everybody that sees the heat of the moment battles usually react different, one way or another. Basically, it’s 130 degrees inside that car and when things start working against you, it’s easy to get frustrated. It’s like turning this media center up to 130 degrees, having the printer not work and you’re frustrated. Who are you going to vent to? You’re probably going to vent to the guy that’s trying to fix that printer and he’s just standing there trying to do his job. It’s definitely something where it’s that access level that our sport has that’s very different than any other sport. I do know that it does go on in other sports.”

IS THERE A REASON WHY YOU WOULD CHANGE A SETUP THIS WEEKEND WHEN YOU HAD A THIRD-PLACE CAR? “You just always have to continue to improve. We have that car ready to go and it’s sitting there in the shop in our Chase lineup. On a scale of 1-10, we gave that car a nine as far as how it performed here at Michigan. So we’re trying to find that “10” piece. Maybe we can find that this weekend with a lighter weight car and one with more downforce on it. You always have to continue to stretch every aspect of it. If we go up there and strike out on three swings, we know what not to do.”

DO YOU FIND THAT YOU HAVE ONE FAVORITE CAR? “There’s always that one that seems to jump out. I remember when I first started and Jimmy Fennig was my crew chief, we had chassis No. 46.

I won four Bristol races with it. We would run top-five ever time that we took it to a race track – Rockingham, Darlington, Dover. That chassis just seemed to run all the time. I ended up wrecking it in 2005 at Bristol. That was the end of its career. We got into the Chase in 2004. We had this car; it was great. We had to turn it around and bring it to every race because that is your best piece and you have to go up with your best equipment to win the Chase. It happens. It’s weird. It’s a phenomenon. It’s hard to explain. I’ve been in it now, 10, 11 years. You do find that one chassis that seems better than the rest.”

WHAT DO YOU ATTRIBUTE YOUR RE-BIRTH OF SUCCESS LATELY? “There are ups and downs in a driver’s careers. Sometimes it’s off-track; sometimes it’s on-track. The way that things started out at Penske Racing, we had a lot of work to do to get the cars up to speed. That’s ultimately what I look at, on-track performance. I think as a driver, yeah, I’ve matured outside the race track over the years. In 2007, we hit it strong and that was the last year for the down-force car. We got all the way up to third in points that year and ultimately finished seventh. 2008 was probably the biggest struggle of my career next to my rookie year and that was the first year for the Car of Tomorrow. We struggled with it hands-down at Penske. 2009 was a great rebound. We knew how much work that we had to do, so there was that much improvement and effort put into finding speed in the race car. It made me dig deeper inside myself as well. It made me grow a lot faster that year. To see the results at the end of the year, come in fourth overall right behind those Hendrick guys, that was a solid effort in 2009. In 2010 we’ve continued working hard ,making sure that we find good finishes even though we’ve run poorly (at times)….poorly to us is 12th to 15th. We don’t want to be in that range. We want to be in the top-10 every week. It’s great balancing the improvements of the team. It’s also a pleasure to help guys like Brad Keselowski and Sam Hornish Jr. learn more about the Cup cars because anytime that they’re going faster, I’m going to get a chance to go faster. When I did make the switch to go drive for Penske Racing, working for the Captain was a dream and a reality now.”

WITH THE HOT TEMPERATURES, WILL THE GUYS NOT RUNNING THE NATIONWIDE RACE HAVE AN ADVANTAGE? “Sometimes it’s an advantage, sometimes it’s a disadvantage. It’s the summer time; we’ll all know that it’s hot out. There’s things that you have to do to stay fit and there’s things that you have to do to get hydrated to perform at you top levels. They’re going to learn a little bit more about the track being out there, if the low groove is going to help their car in loose conditions and vice-versa for tight conditions where the guys that just run on Sunday have to sort that out at the beginning of the race. I never really found much of an advantage running Nationwide races. You definitely lose a lot of bodily fluids and you have to get the intake back in and stay on a tight nutritional regiment to be able to bounce back and run a strong 400 miles the next day. When it’s just a 200 lapper or 200 miler, it’s not as difficult as one might think.”

YOUR SOLIDILY IN THE CHASE, DO YOU AND STEVE ADDINGTON TALK ABOUT GOING FOR IT AND TAKE ON A RIVERBOAT GAMBLER-TYPE ATTIDUDE? “Each race track has its own little identity of what you can do to gamble. Michigan is one of those for fuel mileage for sure, stretching it out in the end. If we run out (of fuel), yeah, we feel comfortable in the points, but nothing is a given. We just can’t completely go all-in and only have a pair of eights. I feel like we have to have raw speed and raw speed will win you races. The only way to do that, we had a great car here and finished third in June, let’s come back with a whole different car like we’re doing and try a different style of setup and see if we can find some of that raw speed and turn it into a win. That’s going to help us with 10 bonus points toward the Chase. It’s going to help us with a better direction and more ammo for our guns when the Chase starts. Don’t get me wrong, the top nine guys have to feel fairly comfortable with their point’s position. Tony’s ninth and once it gets to 10th, 11th or 12th, those guys are a little bit further behind that gap. I would say, yeah, guys are going for wins, going for broke.”

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NASCAR Results

Last Updated: Saturday, Aug 14, 2010 5:32 pm, EDT
Carfax 250

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings Lap Progress

1 Brad Keselowski (22) Dodge 195/10 125 89 $38,545 Chart
2 Carl Edwards (60) Ford 175/5 125 19 $37,600 Chart
3 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 165/0 125 0 $25,875 Chart
4 Justin Allgaier (12) Dodge 165/5 125 2 $27,193 Chart
5 Paul Menard (98) Ford 160/5 125 12 $18,475 Chart
6 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 150/0 125 0 $19,100 Chart
7 Elliott Sadler (88) Chevrolet 151/5 125 1 $17,110 Chart
8 Reed Sorenson (32) Toyota 142/0 125 0 $24,113 Chart
9 Colin Braun (16) Ford 143/5 125 1 $24,418 Chart
10 Kevin Harvick (33) Chevrolet 134/0 125 0 $17,775 Chart
11 Trevor Bayne (99) Toyota 130/0 125 0 $26,168 Chart
12 Ryan Truex (100) Toyota 127/0 125 0 $17,300 Chart
13 Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (6) Ford 124/0 125 0 $22,468 Chart
14 Tayler Malsam (10) Toyota 121/0 125 0 $21,943 Chart
15 Brian Scott (11) Toyota 118/0 125 0 $22,668 Chart
16 Michael Annett (15) Toyota 115/0 125 0 $21,693 Chart
17 John Wes Townley (09) Ford 112/0 125 0 $21,843 Chart
18 Steve Wallace (66) Toyota 109/0 124 0 $21,593 Chart
19 Mike Bliss (40) Chevrolet 106/0 124 0 $21,543 Chart
20 Mike Wallace (01) Chevrolet 103/0 124 0 $22,643 Chart
21 Joe Nemechek (87) Chevrolet 100/0 123 0 $21,418 Chart
22 Shelby Howard (70) Chevrolet 97/0 123 0 $21,368 Chart
23 Jason Keller (35) Chevrolet 94/0 123 0 $21,718 Chart
24 Tony Raines (34) Chevrolet 91/0 123 0 $21,268 Chart
25 Jeremy Clements (104) Chevrolet 88/0 123 0 $21,668 Chart
26 Mark Green (49) Chevrolet 85/0 123 0 $21,143 Chart
27 Danica Patrick (7) Chevrolet 82/0 121 0 $21,093 Chart
28 Michael McDowell (81) Dodge 79/0 121 0 $21,443 Chart
29 Kenny Wallace (28) Chevrolet 76/0 121 0 $20,993 Chart
30 Eric McClure (24) Ford 73/0 121 0 $21,243 Chart
31 Carl Long (168) Chevrolet 70/0 119 0 $14,420 Chart
32 Brendan Gaughan (62) Toyota 67/0 116 0 $20,828 Chart
33 Robert Richardson Jr. (23) Chevrolet 64/0 112 0 $20,793 Chart
34 Jason Leffler (38) Toyota 66/5 71 1 $23,723 Chart
35 Chase Austin (43) Ford 58/0 59 0 $14,290 Chart
36 Ryan Newman (1) Chevrolet 55/0 43 0 $14,495 Chart
37 Morgan Shepherd (21) Chevrolet 52/0 20 0 $14,225 Chart
38 Brian Keselowski (26) Dodge 49/0 10 0 $14,185 Chart
39 Derrike Cope (73) Dodge 46/0 10 0 $14,140 Chart

40 Josh Wise (27) Ford 43/0 4 0 $14,110 Chart
41 Danny Efland (107) Chevrolet 40/0 3 0 $14,080 Chart
42 Kevin Lepage (156) Toyota 37/0 2 0 $14,030 Chart
43 Willie Allen (05) Chevrolet 34/0 2 0 $13,984 Chart

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NNS Race Final - Michigan International Speedway

BROOKLYN, Mich. , Aug 14, 2010 - Saturday, August 14, 2010

CARFAX 250
Post-Race Quotes

BRAD KESELOWSKI (No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger) Race Winner
“This one was even harder. We lost our clutch and ruined the burnout. I couldn’t get out of the pit stall (after losing the clutch) and kept losing spots after that. We just fought back from adversity with an awesome Dodge Challenger. These new cars are sweet to drive and they’re even better to drive when this Dodge Challenger is that fast. I’m proud of everyone on this Discount Tire team. I want to win races going for the championship. We just don’t want to coast through it. We’re pushing as hard as we can for all these people that are working their butts off at Penske Racing and for those fans that support us, especially here in Michigan; these are my guys. It’s awesome to win in front of them.”

YOU HAD THE CLUTCH PROBLEMS, BUT WERE ABLE TO REBOUND FROM THAT, TALK ABOUT HOW THAT IMPACTED THE DAY? “The clutch problems just affected our pit stops and, at the end, affected my burnout. Sorry for the fans there, I was trying. I just didn’t have a clutch. It’s real hard to do it without a clutch. It was an awesome race car. When you have cars this good, life it a lot easier.”

YOU WERE DOWN ABOUT FIVE SECONDS AFTER THE LAST GREEN FLAG PIT STOP. HOW IMPORTATNT WAS THAT CAUTION FLAG, OR DID YOU FEEL YOU HAD ENOUGH TO CHASE DOWN CARL EDWARDS? “I knew I could get to him. I didn’t think I could pass him. The yellow certainly was helpful. We had a great car and this team really deserved to win the race.”

WERE YOU SURPRISED YOU WERE ABLE TO PULL AWAY SO EASILY AT THE END? “I really didn’t think we would. I thought the 18 and 60 would get in a really good draft and run us down. It didn’t work out that way. I’m thankful our car was that good.”

YOU WON HERE LAST YEAR, IS IT SWEETER THAN LAST YEAR’S WIN? “Overall, I think it’s the same general feeling. You never know when you win if it’s going to be your last win ever, so you try and treat them like that. This one is one that I’m certainly going to cherish especially driving for Roger Penske because he’s just down the street here. Being able to win here, we had Ralph (Gilles, Dodge CEO and president) here and to get the first win with the Challenger here is special as well. Just a lot of things that will make it a special win. And fighting back from adversity, the clutch issue was something that I was worried about and didn’t know if it was going to cost us the race. I was trying to stay cool about that, but it’s easy to be upset. It was cool to fight back from those adversities. The win last year was special. We won the race without the fastest car and this year, we won with the fastest car. It’s a little different feeling. This is a little bit more of a team victory in some ways and certainly one that I’m very proud of and would put parallel to winning here last year.”

WITH THIS WIN, ARE YOU A LOT MORE COMFORTABLE WITH THE TWO REMAINING NNS NEW CAR RACES? “Certainly more comfortable about the races coming up. Obviously, with the results of Daytona and the results of here today…Richmond is a much different track than Daytona and Michigan. A lot of different things are going to be required out of your race car just as in the old cars when we built different style cars to go there because of braking and all those things that it takes to keep your car running. For me, I was nervous for this car for a lot of reasons. I was nervous because quite honest, I haven’t run that well on the Cup side and this chassis is based off the Cup car. I looked at it and thought geez, if I’m not running well in the Cup car, how am I going to do when we bring it to the Nationwide side. I think I was a little bit nervous from that standpoint and the reliability of anything that’s new. To be able to go out and win in that car knowing that it’s the same chassis as the Cup car…subtle differences…is a huge boost of momentum that I hope to carry over to tomorrow.”

YOU AND THE 60 AND 98 RAN CLOSE TODAY, SOME REAL GOOD CLOSE RACING. WAS THE HARD RACING AGAINST THE 60 OVER-REPORTED IN THE FIRST PLACE? “I think the biggest thing in the contacts that we’ve had in the past, whether it convenient to believe or not believe, is that it’ has been accidental. It’s easy to look at them and say, ‘So and so roughed someone up.’ When in the seat, we all know that we’re just all sliding around and sometimes contact happens. I didn’t drive my car any differently today than I did in those other races where there’s been contact either by my fault of someone else. It’s just sometimes cars slip and make contact. It’s easy to report it in the media as intentional. It makes a better storyline. Sometimes, cars just run into each other. The recipe for the same cake (was present) today and it just didn’t get baked.”

ARE YOU COMFORTABLE RUNNING TIGHT WITH THE 60 NOW? “I haven’t quite honestly thought about it. I think that it’s real easy for people to say, ‘He’s gonna get around the 60 and he’s gonna get nervous or visa-versa and he’s gonna go crazy’. I’m going to race him just a hard as I did before Atlanta and Gateway.”

IS THERE A DIFFERENT DRIVING STYLE FOR THIS NEW CAR CHASSIS? “There are different driving styles for the different chassis. The fall off are greater throughout a tire run because of the CG’s (center of gravity) are higher. Moderating your tires and keeping them at 100 percent can be a little difficult and it takes a slightly different driving style. That was partially what I was nervous about.”

WITH THIS ONLY BEING THE SECOND RACE FOR THIS NATIONWIDE NEW CAR, WAS THERE A GREATER CHANCE FOR CARS TO RUN INTO EACH OTHER? “Anytime, there’s change you’re out of your comfort zone. If you’re driving you car right, you should never be in your comfort zone to begin with. You’re even more in it when you have a new car. Not exactly knowing how it’s going to react to different pockets of air, that’s part of the wild card factor. Yes, the potential is quite a bit higher.

“Our points lead number is nice. We feel pretty comfortable with the driver’s championship. In our eyes, Paul and I have talked about it, Roger and I have talked about it, and we’re trying to do all that we can to make a strong run for the owner’s championship.”

CARL CAME INTO VICTORY LANE. WHAT DID HE SAY? I think that he just said good job, there was a lot of commotion. My ears were still ringing.”

RALPH GILLES (President & CEO, Dodge Brand)
“First, I’m really happy for Brad in his hometown (Rochester Hills), his fans are here. He got a lot of cheers today when he was introduced. For Dodge and the Challenger, it’s fantastic. It’s everything that the team has been working on to make happen, and it’s finally happen. It eluded us the first race (Daytona), but not today. Front and center, Dodge Challenger. I’m really happy, couldn’t be happier for the team or for Dodge.”

MIKE NELSON (Vice President of Operations, Penske Racing)
“A great day for Penske Racing and a great day for Dodge too. We thought we had a chance to win that first race with the new car at Daytona, but getting a chance to win here at Michigan, hometown race for the manufacturer, is pretty awesome. We put a lot of work into this race, into the Challenger, and it paid off. Thanks to all the guys at Penske Racing that worked really hard to get a good car coming to the track, the guys here at the track that tuned it right, it’s been awesome.”

JUSTIN ALLGAIER (No. 12 Verizon Wireless Dodge Challenger) Finished 4th
“It was great day for the Verizon Dodge guys. This new Dodge Challenger was just awesome. I’m glad to be out there running it and glad for Brad to get Dodge to victory lane. I know that’s something that they really wanted to do with this new car. They built a heck of a car with this Dodge Challenger. It was just a rough day for us. We got into the fence early in the race and had to come back from that all day. We had great pit stops and great call calls on the pit box. It was one of the most fun races that I’ve ever been. Our Dodge Challengers we’re just awesome.”

PAUL WOLFE (crew chief, No. 22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger)
WHAT TYPE OF ADVICE DID YOU GIVE BRAD WHEN HE HAD THE CLUTCH PROBLEM? “It was mainly an issue only on pit road. It didn’t hurt the performance on the race track. It might have changed when we would have pit or not have pit. You always have to think what the worst case scenario is if we do come down pit road. We reminded him when he did come down pit road. He did the best job that he could. For not having a clutch, I didn’t feel like it was a disaster. We lost some positions, but it could have been a lot worse. I think we did a great job controlling that problem.”

CAN YOU TALK ABOUT HOW YOU GUYS OVERCAME CLUTCH PROBLEMS? “It just shows that we’re a championship caliber team. When we had trouble, we were still able to pull through. I’m proud of this entire Discount Tire Dodge Challenger team. To bring out this new Dodge Challenger and for it to be this strong is just an awesome day. I want to thank everyone at Penske for all their hard work.”

HOW WERE YOU ABLE TO ADAPT TO THIS NEW CAR SO QUICKLY? “It’s just working hard. You have work hard and pay attention to the details. It’s a different car that’s asking for different things. We did our homework and figured it out.”

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NASCAR Results

Last Updated: Sunday, Aug 15, 2010 5:04 pm, EDT
Carfax 400

Order Driver (No.) Car Pts/Bonus Laps Laps Led Winnings Lap Progress

1 Kevin Harvick (29) Chevrolet 190/5 200 60 $211,901 Chart
2 Denny Hamlin (11) Toyota 175/5 200 12 $144,325 Chart
3 Carl Edwards (99) Ford 165/0 200 0 $146,998 Chart
4 Greg Biffle (16) Ford 170/10 200 66 $112,575 Chart
5 Matt Kenseth (17) Ford 155/0 200 0 $134,351 Chart
6 Tony Stewart (14) Chevrolet 155/5 200 36 $131,223 Chart
7 Juan Pablo Montoya (42) Chevrolet 146/0 200 0 $127,431 Chart
8 Martin Truex Jr. (56) Toyota 147/5 200 5 $85,775 Chart
9 Elliott Sadler (19) Ford 143/5 200 4 $97,125 Chart
10 Joey Logano (20) Toyota 134/0 200 0 $121,065 Chart
11 David Ragan (6) Ford 135/5 200 2 $90,625 Chart
12 Jimmie Johnson (48) Chevrolet 132/5 200 14 $138,103 Chart
13 Clint Bowyer (33) Chevrolet 124/0 200 0 $89,975 Chart
14 Kasey Kahne (9) Ford 121/0 200 0 $125,240 Chart
15 Marcos Ambrose (47) Toyota 118/0 200 0 $107,623 Chart
16 David Reutimann (00) Toyota 115/0 200 0 $109,631 Chart
17 A J Allmendinger (43) Ford 112/0 200 0 $116,126 Chart
18 Kyle Busch (18) Toyota 109/0 200 0 $123,006 Chart
19 Dale Earnhardt Jr. (88) Chevrolet 106/0 200 0 $86,050 Chart
20 Jamie McMurray (1) Chevrolet 103/0 200 0 $113,704 Chart
21 Regan Smith (78) Chevrolet 100/0 200 0 $85,325 Chart
22 Bill Elliott (21) Ford 97/0 200 0 $74,150 Chart
23 Ryan Newman (39) Chevrolet 94/0 200 0 $112,154 Chart
24 Jeff Burton (31) Chevrolet 91/0 200 0 $111,565 Chart
25 Scott Speed (82) Toyota 88/0 200 0 $92,773 Chart
26 Reed Sorenson (83) Toyota 85/0 200 0 $114,248 Chart
27 Jeff Gordon (24) Chevrolet 82/0 200 0 $119,926 Chart
28 Mark Martin (5) Chevrolet 79/0 199 0 $92,425 Chart
29 Patrick Carpentier (26) Ford 76/0 199 0 $85,100 Chart
30 Travis Kvapil (38) Ford 78/5 199 1 $95,435 Chart
31 Tony Raines (34) Ford 70/0 199 0 $74,550 Chart
32 Sam Hornish Jr. (77) Dodge 67/0 199 0 $79,950 Chart
33 Bobby Labonte (71) Chevrolet 64/0 198 0 $72,825 Chart
34 Brad Keselowski (12) Dodge 61/0 197 0 $98,535 Chart
35 Paul Menard (98) Ford 58/0 197 0 $79,625 Chart
36 David Gilliland (37) Ford 55/0 195 0 $86,148 Chart
37 P.J. Jones (7) Toyota 52/0 64 0 $83,598 Chart
38 Landon Cassill (09) Chevrolet 49/0 54 0 $71,425 Chart
39 Robby Gordon (207) Toyota 46/0 34 0 $71,375 Chart
40 Kurt Busch (2) Dodge 43/0 30 0 $116,898 Chart
41 Max Papis (13) Toyota 40/0 27 0 $71,265 Chart
42 Michael McDowell (55) Toyota 37/0 20 0 $71,195 Chart
43 Joe Nemechek (87) Toyota 34/0 14 0 $70,774 Chart

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dodge Motorsports Notes & Quotes - NSCS Race Final - Michigan 2

BROOKLYN, Mich. , Aug 15, 2010 - SAM HORNISH JR. (No. 77 Mobil 1 Dodge Charger) Finished 32nd
"We couldn't get off the turns with any momentum early in the race and dropped a lap down. We managed to make up that deficit and had actually worked our way into the top 20 with a chance to have a decent finish in the Mobil 1 Dodge. Then we cut down a tire and had to make a green flag pit stop. We had a tire violation on that stop and had to come back down pit road for a pass through penalty. It just wasn't the kind of day we were looking for. "

BRAD KESELOWSKI (No. 12 Dodge Charger) Finished 34th
“Just a tough day with our Dodge Charger and it really wasn’t our fault. Somewhere near the middle of the race, we broke a front splitter brace from some debris on the track. That caused a huge vibration and really disturbed our handling. I’m still not sure what we hit. To make things worse, we got caught on a long green-flag run and couldn’t make it to pit lane to make the repairs we needed and lost some laps. We finally were able to pit under a yellow, fix the front-end and get back out there. It just made it for a long day. I’m proud of my guys. They hung in there and competed all day.”

KURT BUSCH (No. 2 Miller Lite Vortex Dodge Charger) Finished 40th
“The engine just let go in Turn 3. It was a big surprise for the Miller Lite Dodge. We’ve had great reliability with the Penske engines over the years. I thought that I had the conservative motor this weekend, the 12 and the 77 had a bit more power. We just needed a nice, smooth run today and nothing big to happen. It’s unfortunate. We’ll bounce back next week.”

WHAT’S THE LEVEL OF DISAPPOINTMENT? “It’s tough because we wanted to do well here in Michigan and get our Dodge in victory lane. You never want big catastrophic failures like that, so hopefully we can learn from this.

“We wanted a good race today. We’ve got some good tracks coming up; Bristol, Atlanta and Richmond. We’ll be fine. It’s one of those deals where we’re comfortable in points, but it’s not nice when you have something like this happen.”

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Standings August 15, 2010
Sprint Cup

Rank (+/-) Drivers Total Pts Behind Starts Poles Wins Top 5 Top 10 DNF Winnings

1 - Kevin Harvick 3400 Leader 23 2 3 11 16 0 $4,782,698
2 - Jeff Gordon 3107 293 23 0 0 10 13 2 $3,971,520
3 +3 Denny Hamlin 3047 353 23 0 5 9 10 1 $3,846,058
4 +4 Tony Stewart 3020 380 23 2 0 6 13 1 $3,674,976
5 - Jimmie Johnson 3014 386 23 1 5 8 12 4 $4,793,777