Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 dodge nitro 4.0 had a misfire code on number three cylinder so I pulled it upper intake off and ran compression on all 3 cylinders on the right side 2 cylinders was good they were they around 126 psi but No# 3 was at 18 psi . So I removed the rocker arm assembly and did a smoke test and it looked like smoke was coming out around the valves . So I took the head to a Machine shop . They checked all the valves check the head for cracks it cost me over 350.00 for one head . Make a long story short with a New head gasket’s new head bolts basically I reworked head and I still have the same problem but this time I didn’t smoke test it I pressure tested it with 80 psi and soap water and it looks like it is coming out for the oil return hole . But that doesn’t make any since. Because it’s not blowing out of the dipstick two or any other return holes. If anyone has seen this or have any ideas I’m open for any thing

·
Super Moderator
23,878 Posts
Well Dennis I wish I had the answer but I know you are not alone. I would take a real good look at the valve train components on the left bank and also the cam. There were issues back in 2008/2007 with the compete rocker arm assemble on the left bank of the 4.0 engine, plus also cam wear. Some cams of different Nitro years had non normal wear and were recalled and replaced. The issue now if you figure out what is needed, Chrysler Factory replacement parts are now becoming scarce for this engine that ended production in 2010. Somehow there are no cams from MOPAR in the US and are backordered and were only in Italy that was locked down until last week. Aftermarket or used parts are an option.

You might find a new Video THREAD about an upper engine (4.0) tear down that ended up being a broken camshaft helpful or interesting. It is located in

Problems / Dealer Service

Under

Dodge Nitro: Engine Problems / Code Errors

page 8 starting with # 148

I wish I knew the answer as to what has happened to your engine and if you are successful I would appreciate a followup post so I could know, and share with others. GOOD LUCK!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts