·
Super Moderator
23,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
23,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From the above information it appears that the Nitro for 2008 will remain a Part-Time 4X4 using the 143 New Venture Transfer Case but the 2008 Jeep Liberty will offer the MD 256 Selec-Trac ll Active Full-Time 4WD. Some suggested last year that this would be the case to protect the Jeep nameplate. If this holds true I will not order a 2008 Nitro RT as I would not order a 2007 Nitro RT due to the lack of a full-time 4X4 option. I understand many don't agree but this is what I had on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and I will not buy anything less. Will continue to just drive and use my Wife's car and save about 30K.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree Rick. It looks like no Full-Time 4WD. I love the traction control on my Nitro though. I really don't miss the Full-Time 4WD on my '03 Liberty.

I have to wonder. I have not looked at anything that tells me one way or another. Is the new Liberty available with traction control or is that a Dodge only thing? I know the Liberty will not get the 4.0. Oh well.

Nice post Rick - thanks!

·
Super Moderator
23,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jas_Oz said:
same here...if i want 4wd, i will select it
Just hard headed I guess, but if Dodge doesn't want to build me what I want I am just not going to order one. Since the 08 Nitro & 08 Jeep Liberty are really about the same under the sheet metal, and built at the same assembly plant, why not? It was listed as an option last year (full-time 4WD in error?) but never became available. They say the reason American car companies are in trouble is they don't build the cars people want. Well I know what I want and it could and should be an available option. If not, no sale. Sorry. A friend told me it is because Chrysler's new owners want to protect JEEP as the 4WD leader since they plan to sell it off. Who knows maybe full-time 4WD will become available for the Nitro R/T later this year after production of the new 08 Jeep Liberty ramps up. It could happen, I hope.

PS You guys are not alone, since the salesman and my Wife both asked the same question. Why would you care if it is PT 4WD or FT 4WD?

·
Registered
23 Posts
rickaren said:
Just hard headed I guess, but if Dodge doesn't want to build me what I want I am just not going to order one.
Mabe you should consider the Liberty or Grand Cherokee? FWIW, the Jeep Select-Trac Xfer case is a great unit. Select-Trac uses an open diff in the center during FT 4WD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very interesting -I stumbled across this forum while searching particularly about info on the 4wd system on the 2008 Nitro (a contender for my next company car). Oddly, it appears that Part-Time 4wd transfer case IS available in Canada, at least it shows up on the spec sheet (see page 3). Although I cannot tell if this includes Low Range or not, albeit that is not important to me.

I am apparently not allowed to post a web page link on my first visit, so go to dodge.ca and after you find the nitro page, there is a link to a specifications PDF on the right.

I am driving a Jeep Liberty at the moment and specifically ordered Selec-Trac (part-time/full time 4x4) over Command-Trac (full-time 4wd) particularly for driving on snowy/slushy/slippery roads. And frankly it has been fantastic in that regard.

I hope for you folks in the US that the full time system does reappear on the options list.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I came a from a Dakota and it ha Part Time 4 wheel drive and i hope they dont go to the AWD in teh future nitros it just eats gas millage. I like choosing when i want to be in 4WD, and traction control is really nice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts