Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum...and I'm going to have A LOT of questions I'm sure. I bought a 2007 with 72000kms on it...in pristine condition. I live on Vancouver Island and that's about average kms per year for vehicles around these parts.

I read a lot about the roof rack issue....Mine did not come with the bars, priced them at 300 bucks!!! and a bit of a chore to take on and off...heard about the noise issue (I have the sunroof). What I wanted was a rack I could put on and take off in a snap....so I could carry a couple of kayaks and/or maybe a sheet of plywood or WHY (I used to have a pick up)......so what I did was take the rails off to fit four framing 90degree anchors (galvanized)....after slotting them (like the openings in the tracks) I sandwiched them between the roof and tracks. Drilled four quarter inch holes in the vertical faces to accept quarter inch SS bolts and wingnuts. Then I made two roof racks to fit and rest on the rails. The cross pieces are just two by two material...they come on or off in minutes, are plenty strong enough and do the job for me. The framing anchors that live permanently on the roof are not even noticed when the racks are off....which is the vast majority of the time...Cheers

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,330 Posts
Welcome and thanks for the pictures! Yes nothing replaces a pick-up truck and they are always worth $500 no matter how old or the shape they are in. Good ideal on your part and very creative. Good Luck with your new ride.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts