Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello im a new owner of an 08 nitro. Love the truck cant stand the choppy ride.Anyone have any suggestions on smoothing this ride out? i have been told bilstein shocks and timbren kit should do it.Need advice on this thanks!

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Hello im a new owner of an 08 nitro. Love the truck cant stand the choppy ride.Anyone have any suggestions on smoothing this ride out? i have been told bilstein shocks and timbren kit should do it.Need advice on this thanks!
What model? Do you have the 20" wheels? My 2011 has the 20" wheels with the performance suspension and it does ride harsh and choppy as you say. I think a lot of this has to do with the low profile tires. I put HD Bilstein shocks on my Jeep Commander and it made a huge difference. Granted, the Jeep had 17" wheels, so the tires had a higher sidewall.

:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rough ride

Its an 08 it is 4 wheel drive basic model im guessing has 18 inch wheels on it

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Its an 08 it is 4 wheel drive basic model im guessing has 18 inch wheels on it
Probably 17". Check the tire size. Also, check the air pressure in each tire. Over inflating will give you slightly better gas milage, but will make it ride harder. Under inflation will wear your tires faster, but will give a softer ride. The placard on the driver's door jam will give you the recommended inflation amount. Look at your shocks. Do they show any signs of leakage? If so, time to replace! I would seriously consider the Bilsteins. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
No 18 inch tires inflated properly. Thinking ill get bilsteins and the timbren system.
I stand corrected. 17's were standard on the Commander, 18's were optional. I did not realize that Nitros came std with 18" wheels. Good choice for the Bilsteins. You won't be disappointed. I found the best price @ shockwarehouse.com. What is the timbren system?

BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Sorry, guys, but I hear so many people who buy an S U V thinking they've bought a limo and complain about the ride. S U V stands for sports (where that came from I don't know) UTILITY Vehicle. I had a Jeep CJ5 that the ownership stated UTILITY VEHICLE.
If you want a limo ride, go buy a Caddy or Lincoln.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont want a limo ride but i dont want to be hitting my head against the drivers window and ceiling everytime i hit a bump in the road.....Sorry your so upset....

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi we have just changed our alloys and tyres put bilstein shocks all round and bwoody sway bars vast improvement.main problem with bouncy ride is the bloody awful tyres by goodyear on our sxt which has 20 inch rims as standard,if urs is the basic model here in the u.k that came with 16 inch rims as standard,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts