Dodge Nitro Forum banner

New tipm and still runs rough

6K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Cory C 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Been reading alot lately I bought a used Nitro 2009 3.7 liter gas engine.....from all the reading ive done online...mostly here......i am here right now.....bought vehicle vhanged the starter and drove it home...it ran really rough....new tipm which was what I thought was wrong.....it ran good after changing for about 5 hours then acted. Like an alternator, I went through 2 of these before I realized it must be pcm.....changed it did every reset I could find( accelerator, throttle body, idlr air....) Also new plugs wires and could at this point. It runs really rougg, had a popping noise( backfiring I believe) and after a couple days messing with it u vhecked plugs and 5 of the 6 were fouled......help!!!

#3 ·
So NO "Check Engine Light" on dash, or NO code errors using your OBD II Code Reader ? Was your TIPM replacement per-programed for your vehicle?

#6 ·
Alright... It has 2 codes both the same P0113 air intake sensor circuit 1 temperature high....also had it running almost perfect, boight a battery and cleaned the mass airflow sensor..or equivalent...and when i cranked it it does this......before today threw misfire codes and bank 1 and 2 lean

#7 ·
Guess you cleared all the old error codes before installing the new TIPM, then reset the computer by disconnecting the battery so these are NEW error codes. I know you stated you were not a mechanic. So you only have ONE error code to address of PO113, right?

Sure you have already found this info but lets look at it again......

P0113 is an OBDII trouble code that occurs when the Dodge Nitro’s engine management computer detects that there is an issue with the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor, specifically that there is a High Input Problem with it.

The IAT sensor is responsible for measuring the air temperature and density to achieve the optimal air/fuel mixture for any condition.

P0113 is specifically thrown when the Nitro’s computer sees a voltage signal of 4.91 volts for over half a second at the Intake Air Temp Sensor. If there are irregularities in the voltage, it will not throw P0113, it’s only for excess voltage.

Dodge Nitro P0113 Symptoms

There can be symptoms associated with P0113. Depending on the time of year, IAT sensor issues can be a real problem. When it is cold outside, it may be more difficult for your Nitro’s engine to start. This is due to a lean condition that’s more noticeable when the air temperature is lower.

Here are the most common symptoms of P0113/IAT issues:

• Service Engine Soon– Often, the only noticeable symptom of P0113 is going to be the service engine soon light.
  • Hard Starts– the engine may have difficulty starting due to the IAT issue creating a leaner air fuel mixture. As stated above, this problem will only be magnified when it is cold outside in the engine needs more of a choke to start.
  • Lean Condition– As stated above, the engine will run lean with P0113. It is not a good idea to drive around for a long time with an engine is running lean. We recommend getting it in to be repaired as soon as possible. Once the engine is warmed up though, it should not leave you stranded.
  • Decreased Fuel Economy– With the engine running lean, it’s not going to produce the optimal power for good fuel economy.

When most folks see this trouble code, they will replace the IAT sensor right away. It is often a mistake to replace the sensor immediately, often it will be a wiring issue.

It’s a good idea to inspect the wiring around the sensor, and make sure that there are no obvious signs of damage, or that it is even plugged in. After that, use a multimeter to make sure that it is getting the proper voltage. A good scan tool can tell you a lot about what exactly is going on with your engine and causing the P0113.

If you have looked around the harness and there does not seem to be any discernible problem, it will most likely be the IAT sensor that needs replaced.

Here are some of the most common causes of P0113, presented (somewhat) in order from most likely to least likely:

• IAT is bad, and needs replaced.
  • IAT is good, but oil has contaminated it (on the tip).
  • Wiring harness has been damaged/shorted: How to Diagnose a Short in a Car (youtube) Find a short in a car (article).
  • Backfiring has occurred in the intake manifold. This can fry/contaminate the sensor.
  • PCM failure.

Conclusion

While P0113 is not going to leave you stranded on the side of the road, it is important to not ignore it. If you allow your Dodge Nitro to run lean for too long of a period of time, it’ll develop other problems with the engine. Good luck fixing your vehicle.

Anything here that is new to you CORY?

#8 ·
The iat sensor is spiking at 5.02 volts so its exceeding the 4.91 threshold limit of the pcm for throwing that code....as I mentioned earlier the " mass airglow sensor"...which turned out to be the iaf btw.... Was sprayed and not touched and allowed to dry for 30 min before reinstalling the duct back...before doing that it was running perfect and after is the issue at hand....it was cleaned with mass airflow sensor cleaner. I'm a bad mechanic but fairly good at diagnosing, but yhis seems like I keep changing parts for something else to mess up, and I'm not sure if I'm chasing a problem down or being chased by a problem lol. But yes all codes are cleared I have a new pc's and it does the same with either one of them on. I'm changing the iat sensor next bit personally was thinking it wasnt it because when I unplug it while running there is absolutely no change to hkw it runs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.