Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 2010 Nitro with 16k miles on it and absolutely love it. I understand that the on-board computer has a learning capability that will help adjust fuel usage, shift points, etc based on driving style.

Is there any way to reset the entire system so that the vehicle is able to learn our driving style, rather than having to adjust the previous drivers style?

Is this doable, or am I talking out my butt?

Thanks..

Claud

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Think of your Nitro as a computer. You need to purge the memory. Disconnect the negative terminal from your battery for 10 minutes or so, and this should eliminate any stored memory related to driving habits, etc. Think of doing this a a "restart"! Good luck with this.

:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fairly decent analogy. Although generally, a computer bios reset will require a jumper to be put onto the "clear CMOS" in order to reset it. Or to ensure a clean running system, I would reinstall the OS, thereby removing all the data and providing a clean slate.

Thanks for the info, as it appears that I won't need to pull the chip, or perform a key on/off routine to reset the system, I'll give it a try and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Fairly decent analogy. Although generally, a computer bios reset will require a jumper to be put onto the "clear CMOS" in order to reset it. Or to ensure a clean running system, I would reinstall the OS, thereby removing all the data and providing a clean slate.

Thanks for the info, as it appears that I won't need to pull the chip, or perform a key on/off routine to reset the system, I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Thanks for the reply. I have never had to do this on my Nitro, as I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase it new, despite all of the crap I had to endure last year. Let me know if doing this actually does anything!

·
Super Moderator
23,452 Posts
Think of your Nitro as a computer. You need to purge the memory. Disconnect the negative terminal from your battery for 10 minutes or so, and this should eliminate any stored memory related to driving habits, etc. Think of doing this a a "restart"! Good luck with this.

I confirmed with my Service Tech today that dhh3 is correct. I'm having my Dealer replace my Nitro's original battery today since it did fail the last checkup, around the first of the year and will soon be five years old! I was concerned about any effect on the numerous "flashes" and TSBs (I believe that I have had all of the reported ones performed) and wanted to make sure that none would be lost by changing and disconnecting the battery. He said any loss would be to owners preferences such as radio channel settings and the like, only.

Factory MOPAR replacement batteries are expensive to purchase and having it dealer installed, however with all my extended warranty and maintenance contracts I never spend any money (it's been pre-paid) in service, at present. Not much of a savings but MOPAR has a Summer 2012 mail-in rebate for $10 on batteries till Aug 31.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Thanks for the post. This is why I love these forums. There is a world ok knowledge out there, just waiting to be absorbed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts