Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup ya'll, new to these forums but not new to forums in general. My name is Ty, I live in Oklahoma at the moment but am moving back to Colorado after Thanksgiving. I work in the oil fields and am on the road a lot. I have a 2011 Nitro Heat R/T. I dabbled in mechanics for years before going into the oil fields. Married, have 3 boys, a good bird dog in training, and love guns, beer, and football. I am very interested to see what info I am going to find for these Nitro's, they seem to have a decent foundation to become a weekend warrior. Looking forward to future discussions with all of you.

Sincerely,
Ty. M. Briggs.

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts
Welcome Ty. M. Briggs!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Having a 2011 R/T gives you the privilege of having one of the last Nitros made, during the extended 2011 production year from Aug to Dec 2011.

:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is cool. I just wish there were more custom 4x4 options for it. I am not to big on the gangster look. I will probably buy the 4" lift after the holidays are done taking all my money. I am excited. Is the 4.0l in these the same that is in the jeep wranglers?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
That is cool. I just wish there were more custom 4x4 options for it. I am not to big on the gangster look. I will probably buy the 4" lift after the holidays are done taking all my money. I am excited. Is the 4.0l in these the same that is in the jeep wranglers?
No, it is not the same engine. The 4.0 that is in your R/T is a car engine, and the Nitro is the only truck that ever used it. It is based on the old 3.5L. It is an odd configuration, in that it has 24 valves - 4 per cylinder, but with only single overhead cams on each bank. Multi valve engines such as these are usually dual over head cams. It also has a rubber timing belt, that must be changed, but I do not know what the recommendations are. It will probably tell you that in your owners manual.
Once you do your lift, you are limited to 30.5" overall diameter tires, with or without a lift, with no rub issues. This is due to the design of the front fender flare. If you don't mind cutting and bending, you can mount a larger tire. The members that have lifted their Nitros have gone back to 17" wheels, because there is not much available in 20" with an agressive tread.

·
Super Moderator
23,327 Posts

According to the 2007 Nitro (4.0L) Service Manual the timing belt should be inspected at 102,000 miles (170,000km) replace if necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts