Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 08 RT with a vibration that you can feel in the drivers seat and floorboard area, I checked under the front end and all I can find is the high speed CV at the transfer case seems loose. I can take the front drive shaft and it moves quite a bit in that joint, not sure if that is normal or it needs to be replaced. I checked with Dodge and they say that part is not serviced and you have to replace the whole drive shaft (for $600.00). My question is should this joint be tight like a regular u-joint or can some play by allowed and has anyone found a aftermarket source to replace just the joint with-out replacing the whole drive shaft.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,452 Posts
I have 08 RT with a vibration that you can feel in the drivers seat and floorboard area, I checked under the front end and all I can find is the high speed CV at the transfer case seems loose. I can take the front drive shaft and it moves quite a bit in that joint, not sure if that is normal or it needs to be replaced. I checked with Dodge and they say that part is not serviced and you have to replace the whole drive shaft (for $600.00). My question is should this joint be tight like a regular u-joint or can some play by allowed and has anyone found a aftermarket source to replace just the joint with-out replacing the whole drive shaft.

Thanks.
Welcome Mac

Any chance either one of these Threads pertain to your issue?

Click on both

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f2/nitro-recall-drive-shaft-shield-8619/

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f11/update-nitro-drive-shaft-fell-out-5797/

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There should be little or no play in that joint.

:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, the recall from what I can tell doesn't pertain to the 4X4 model. Do any of you know if that HSCV can be replaced with something or do you have to replace the whole drive shaft.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,452 Posts
Don't know where you live but in many towns there are shops that can build and repair drive shafts. This could be an option to explore. I also found used or re-manufactured shafts (4X4 4.0) at far less cost that from a Dealer for sale "Online". I would think if you can find a shop to repair your your present shaft nearby that would be where I would start. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
23,452 Posts
Mac thought maybe MOPAR might have re-manufactured drive shafts but the closest they come are CV Axles! How many miles does your Nitro have?

Mopar Remanufactured Parts

If you own an older Ram, Dodge, Chrysler, or Jeep vehicle, Mopar remanufactured parts may be right for you. That's because remanufactured parts cost less than new, original equipment parts, and yet they offer the same Mopar quality you've come to rely on. Mopar offers a full line of remanufactured parts, including:

Engines
Transmissions
Electrical Systems
Fuel Systems
Steering Assemblies
CV Axles
Brake Components
Heating and A/C Units

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vibration

It has appx 122,000 kms or 70,000 miles. I called around today and all the drive shaft repair shops I talked to new exactly what I needed but they all said that particular shaft was dealer only. They offered to make something from scratch, but not sure how well they would work, I called around to some more dealers and found one for 450.00 and the parts guy said these ones and the liberty have been known to fail. After I just spent $1200.00 on fixing the transmission last month I hope the bleeding stops here.

Thanks again.

Cal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts