Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: hello nitrofilliacs!!! i will eventually be installing either a roof rail system or a modified light bar on my nitro. on this system i want to install some offroad lights and a air horn and whatever comes to mind.

the question is, where will i get the power from, how will it be hooked up and does my nitro have to be drilled? will appreciate an answer, i never hooked anything up on the roof before. have any of you? thanks!:D

mcnabb in louisiana..............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Yo McNabb .

MCNABB said:
:confused: hello nitrofilliacs!!! i will eventually be installing either a roof rail system or a modified light bar on my nitro. on this system i want to install some offroad lights and a air horn and whatever comes to mind.

the question is, where will i get the power from, how will it be hooked up and does my nitro have to be drilled? will appreciate an answer, i never hooked anything up on the roof before. have any of you? thanks!:D

mcnabb in louisiana..............
Yes Bud I've had bubble gum lights mounted on my Snow Plow Trucks many times and they were all energized in the same manner .Centered on the roof with a hole drilled throught the roof.Then run between the roof and headliner over the windshield drivers side and down alongside the windshild a post ,exiting behind the dash ,drivers side to a pullout illuminated switch. I know your not anxious to punch a hole in the roof but there is a weather seal screwed down from above to a lower half that forms a positive seal. Not unlike those holes drilled and sealed in the roof of pilot house boats that get awashed with seawater daily. I think I know how you feel about making a hole in the roof of your new Nitro. I have been kicking around drilling two holes in my hood to mount a Dodge Ram Hood ornament .The old fashion type ,4 inches high and 7 inches long ,bright Chrome. This should go a long way in making my Nitro the ultimate pimp wagon.:D Caution McNabb in making that hole that you don't fracture the Clear Coat/Paint .
Roadie
AKA Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks florida roadie!!!!!!

Florida Roadie said:
Yes Bud I've had bubble gum lights mounted on my Snow Plow Trucks many times and they were all energized in the same manner .Centered on the roof with a hole drilled throught the roof.Then run between the roof and headliner over the windshield drivers side and down alongside the windshild a post ,exiting behind the dash ,drivers side to a pullout illuminated switch. I know your not anxious to punch a hole in the roof but there is a weather seal screwed down from above to a lower half that forms a positive seal. Not unlike those holes drilled and sealed in the roof of pilot house boats that get awashed with seawater daily. I think I know how you feel about making a hole in the roof of your new Nitro. I have been kicking around drilling two holes in my hood to mount a Dodge Ram Hood ornament .The old fashion type ,4 inches high and 7 inches long ,bright Chrome. This should go a long way in making my Nitro the ultimate pimp wagon.:D Caution McNabb in making that hole that you don't fracture the Clear Coat/Paint .
Roadie
AKA Buzz
:eek: holes in the roof of my nitro????!!!!! it definitely won't be me doing the installation then, somebody professional and with a slow, calm attitude is a must.

as for the dodge ram hood ornament, this is very ironic in a good way......i thought about doing this myself. there are some for sale on e-bay for sure. i settled for the large metal decal of a dodge ram and has 3m tape on the bottom for adhesion and positioned it on the center/front edge of the hood and it looks great. may upgrade to the ornament at a later date. the decal cost me about $4.00, it was on a clearance sale. the regular price was around $16.00, lucky me! thanks again florida roadie on the info.

mcnabb in louisiana................:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Charging Ram.

MCNABB said:
:eek: holes in the roof of my nitro????!!!!! it definitely won't be me doing the installation then, somebody professional and with a slow, calm attitude is a must.

as for the dodge ram hood ornament, this is very ironic in a good way......i thought about doing this myself. there are some for sale on e-bay for sure. i settled for the large metal decal of a dodge ram and has 3m tape on the bottom for adhesion and positioned it on the center/front edge of the hood and it looks great. may upgrade to the ornament at a later date. the decal cost me about $4.00, it was on a clearance sale. the regular price was around $16.00, lucky me! thanks again florida roadie on the info.

mcnabb in louisiana................:cool:
McNabb my Friend. My hood ornament ,the one I like,can be found @jcwhitney.com It a charging Ram and it goes for $32.99. in chrome .They also have some very cool Rams Heads in Gold.
Roadie :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cooolllll!!!!!

Florida Roadie said:
McNabb my Friend. My hood ornament ,the one I like,can be found @jcwhitney.com It a charging Ram and it goes for $32.99. in chrome .They also have some very cool Rams Heads in Gold.
Roadie :D

:cool: guess you'll be posting some pictures of your new ornament once you get it installed. i'd go with the chrome also.

mcnabb in louisiana..............:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Florida Roadie said:
Yes Bud I've had bubble gum lights mounted on my Snow Plow Trucks many times and they were all energized in the same manner .Centered on the roof with a hole drilled throught the roof.Then run between the roof and headliner over the windshield drivers side and down alongside the windshild a post ,exiting behind the dash ,drivers side to a pullout illuminated switch. I know your not anxious to punch a hole in the roof but there is a weather seal screwed down from above to a lower half that forms a positive seal. Not unlike those holes drilled and sealed in the roof of pilot house boats that get awashed with seawater daily. I think I know how you feel about making a hole in the roof of your new Nitro. I have been kicking around drilling two holes in my hood to mount a Dodge Ram Hood ornament .The old fashion type ,4 inches high and 7 inches long ,bright Chrome. This should go a long way in making my Nitro the ultimate pimp wagon.:D Caution McNabb in making that hole that you don't fracture the Clear Coat/Paint .
Roadie
AKA Buzz
Hey Roadie! I've already mounted the Ram's head on my hood - in chrome, the gold ones, or lighted ones for that matter, looked too funky in my opinion. I have to warn you though, mounting the sucker turned out to be a something of a challenge: the Nitro's hood has three layers in that particular area, and drilling STRAIGHT through them all is tricky! And after straightening and meddling with the holes of my initial drilling, I found that when I mounted the Ram and tightened the nuts - that is after I purchased longer longer bolts/rods to accomodate the thickness of the three layers - the tension of the nuts versus the Ram itself pressed the outer/top layer of the hood down as it is weaker than the bottom one! After swearing and scratching my head a bit, I came to the conclusion that I would have to cut an opening in the bottom/inner two layers to accomodate the two nuts, my hand and a wrench and just mount the ram to the outer/top layer. By using a piece of flat steel on the inside, I created enough support for the one thin layer to hold the weight of the Ram and not buckle from wind pressure when driving.
So, If you're up to this challenge, go ahead and I'll welcome you to an exclusive club of Nitro-with-hoodornament-owners! :D
One last piece of advise: Take your time lining up the Ram - put some tape underneath it, put some longer tape over it and stick it to your hood first, take a NON-permanent marker and do the outline, and then you'll just have to play around with a tape measure as the bolts are not centered along the y-axis nor the x-axis.
I think I have some pics somewhere, I'll post them as soon as get to it.
Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Hey Fenrir.no..Thanks for the heads up regarding the Hood Ornament. Just making holes in the hood of my new Nitro is scary enough without the grief angle .I'm looking hard at making a mount that will attach under the hood with a pedestal mounting area ,similar to the fashion in which the bug deflector mounts. . I have this ,mud guards,headlight lens protectors and muffler upgrade on the agenda .This I think will give me 21 mods/add ons .
Roadie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I also got myself a dodge ram hood ornament.

Hey Roadie! I've already mounted the Ram's head on my hood - in chrome, the gold ones, or lighted ones for that matter, looked too funky in my opinion. I have to warn you though, mounting the sucker turned out to be a something of a challenge: the Nitro's hood has three layers in that particular area, and drilling STRAIGHT through them all is tricky! And after straightening and meddling with the holes of my initial drilling, I found that when I mounted the Ram and tightened the nuts - that is after I purchased longer longer bolts/rods to accomodate the thickness of the three layers - the tension of the nuts versus the Ram itself pressed the outer/top layer of the hood down as it is weaker than the bottom one! After swearing and scratching my head a bit, I came to the conclusion that I would have to cut an opening in the bottom/inner two layers to accomodate the two nuts, my hand and a wrench and just mount the ram to the outer/top layer. By using a piece of flat steel on the inside, I created enough support for the one thin layer to hold the weight of the Ram and not buckle from wind pressure when driving.
So, If you're up to this challenge, go ahead and I'll welcome you to an exclusive club of Nitro-with-hoodornament-owners! :D
One last piece of advise: Take your time lining up the Ram - put some tape underneath it, put some longer tape over it and stick it to your hood first, take a NON-permanent marker and do the outline, and then you'll just have to play around with a tape measure as the bolts are not centered along the y-axis nor the x-axis.
I think I have some pics somewhere, I'll post them as soon as get to it.
Good luck!
Hey guys i googled this thread, first of all i will give a proper introduction on a thread. I'm new here and im part of another nitro fourm called nitro******. I looked up over there if anyone had installed a hood ornament. i got myself one i will post the pic and my question is i need help. Is a lighted ram and they're charging me $75.00 to install it not on the front end but a little in the center it's not going to look as i dreamed of it. so any help will be much appreciated. tahks in advance.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top