Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give some feed back to the towing capacity of the Nitro.
I used mine to pull a steel 2 horse trailer with 2 1000+ pound horses this weekend. The Nitro seemed to have NO trouble pulling and didn't sag down in the back much at all. The only issue noticed was the stopping distance required qreatly increased. So braking distance needs to be kept in mind while towing a heavy load.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hope you meant 2100 lbs......

I've towed my ATV trailer (about 2200 lbs loaded) & a pontoon boat (about 2500 lbs) & not had much problem for the most part. But pulling up a mountain pass or even a good sized hill is not done easily with the Nitro. It will gear down & want to turn some RPMs to maintain speed. With that in mind I don't know how anyone could possibly tow 5000 lbs with this thing. I just don't think it's possible on anything but flat ground.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air,
I am guessing the total weight with the 2 horses (1100 lbs each) and the trailer (1300 lbs) would be about 3500 lbs. I didn't really have to many big hills to cover, just normal Texas highway roads...fairly flat around here. I was just sorta surprised that I didn't feel more strain from the R/T. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
A few weeks ago I towed my bike in an enclosed trailer 400 miles from Northern California to Los Angeles. I think the weight of the trailer and my bike was 2500lbs. The Nitro performed flawless even going through Grants pass. I stuck it on cruise at 60mph and no problem through the pass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts