Also on ESPN2 at 6pm NHRA Gainesville ESPN3

12:30pm-2:30pm (L) NASCAR RaceDay Las Vegas SPEED

2:30pm-3:00pm (L) -Pre-Race
3:00pm-6:00pm (L) -Race NASCAR Sprint Cup Las Vegas FOX

3:30pm-5:30pm (3/4) Australian V8 Supercars Adelaide SPEED

6:00pm-9:00pm (SD) NHRA Gainesville ESPN2

8:00pm-9:00pm (L)
Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain
Ralph Gilles (CEO, Chrysler’s SRT Brand and Motorsports)
Jade Gurss (Author, “In the Red: The 2001 Season with Dale Earnhardt Jr.”)
Bob Varsha (Host, Formula 1 on SPEED) SPEED

·
Super Moderator
23,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Robby Gordon hopes Penske departure gives him more Dodge support
Mar 6, 2012

Robby Gordon obviously could use more sponsorship in any form, so if the Penske Racing move from Dodge to Ford in 2013 helps him, he’s all for the additional support.

As a driver and team owner, Gordon has run Dodges the last four years in NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series. He gets his motors from Joey Arrington’s Race Engines Plus.

Gordon believes he has an advantage over other teams possibly looking for Dodge support because his team builds all his own cars. He doesn’t have an alliance where he gets cars and engines from another organization.

“We are a company that can actually manufacture cars,” Gordon said last week at Phoenix International Raceway. “We might be sitting in the right place. … As far as shop organization goes, we have got all the tools to build all our racecars—we have everything in-house to do that while a lot of these Cup teams don’t have the tools to do it.”

Gordon, who has successfully qualified for the first two races of the season after finishing outside the top 35 in 2011, plans to field a car in every race this year, but whether he will be the driver and how much of each race is run, due to finances, is still to be determined.

His only funding comes from some Menard’s sponsorship, from Dodge and whatever profits he can bring from his Speed Energy drink.

Dodge helped with sponsorship last year with the movie “Fast Five” for select races. Gordon said he gets some engine parts and bodywork parts as part of his Dodge deal.

“If I had a (full) factory program in place, I’d show up and drive all the races,” Gordon said. “Right now, I’m trying to figure out how to fund this thing. With Speed Energy, that’s been about the only way I can build a business that actually can turn some profit (for sponsorship).

“I have to focus on that, too.”

When asked if he needed to start looking at other manufacturers, Gordon said he believes Dodge’s business is coming around and he likes the vehicles.

“I love Dodge,” Gordon said. “I’ve had a good relationship with these guys. They’ve always had the Penske organization. I don’t know if they’re going to choose us. Time will tell if they choose us or if they have to choose a big name.”

Read more: Robby Gordon hopes Penske departure gives him more Dodge support - NASCAR - Sporting News

1 - 2 of 2 Posts