Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday as I left work, my factory installed remote start worked just fine. Later in the evening, while it was snowing heavily and a bit colder, it no longer would work. I pressed the button on the key fob twice as normal and instead of firing up and the lights blinking twice, they blinked once and just locked the doors. The same thing happened this morning when I went to start it.

Has anyone had this problem recently or know what could be causing it? I am wondering if the fact that this is the first time the car has been frozen, if that is making some of the sensors not function properly. I have not disconnected the battery yet, but may do that this evening.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
Is there any snow on your vehicle? Could that be it? Hopefully it will work just fine when it warms back up or you get a car wash. Have the same remote start and never an issue but it is usually in the heated garage with little snow on it in the Winter. Its spoiled.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is some snow still on the vehicle. I read somewhere that the hood sensor creates problems so I am hoping that since it was cold and snowy, it just malfunctioned. I plan on taking a look at that sensor after work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Despite my embarrassment admitting it, the problem was a simple fix. I failed to realize my hood was actually open thus not allowing the remote start to operate. I was surprised there was no "hood open" warning on the dash anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
Despite my embarrassment admitting it, the problem was a simple fix. I failed to realize my hood was actually open thus not allowing the remote start to operate. I was surprised there was no "hood open" warning on the dash anywhere.
Great info! I too would have thought there was an "Open Hood" display on the dash. Well at least it was a no-cost simple repair that are few these day on any vehicle let alone on the Nitro! Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Did you use your remote to lock the truck? I was unaware that it would lock if the hood was unlocked! So much for anti theft!

:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is an interesting point you bring up. I did lock it with the remote just like normal. Everything functioned as it normally does. I might go and test it later to see if the alarm actually arms if the hood was open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
08 dodge nitro w/ factory starter

I purchased my nitro in 08 and never had a problem with the auto starter until now, when i press the button to start my nitro,it either flashes the lights twice and shuts off or won't start at all . so when i go out to start it with the key, it has a very hard time turning over. it acts like it's flooded but there is no change in the exhaust pipe like dark smoke. I do live in ohio. what could be wrong??

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Having a hard time turning over could be a sign of a bad battery. I do not have the remote start, so I am really clueless. Good luck in your quest to find an answer.

:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
it only has a hard time starting when i first try to remote start, if i don't use the remote start it starts fine and runs fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
lags to start after use

:mad:i have a hard time starting after i use my nitro for a few miles it takes long to start but when i first start the truck its starts fine its just after i use it dont know if its the fuel pump any ideas thx.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hard start

oh really so you think it could be the battery thanks its an 07 and never replaced battery starts good just at times it cranks for a few secounds before it starts up after use thanks for info.

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
oh really so you think it could be the battery thanks its an 07 and never replaced battery starts good just at times it cranks for a few secounds before it starts up after use thanks for info.
I have already changed batteries on both my 07 Nitro and 2010 Ford Taurus Limited. Factory batteries are designed to last only 3/36 and can can cause numerous issues as they start to fail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts