Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,865 Posts
Is there any way to extend the range of the unit? I am on the wrong side of the building.
There are all kinds of extenders out there for about anything you can control remotely. Are they legal, probably not. These RF remotes are considerably better than the old IR remotes that were used on Jeeps. Do you want to open your garage door from work? It could be done I'm sure. My suggestion is to contact a Local Firm in your town that installs Automobile Remote Starts and ask them if there is a way to extend a factory remote? If anyone would know I'm sure they would! Good Luck and stay warm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remote starter

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your responce. No one knew how to expand the recever range. I did a little research and found a baby monitor with a 2,000 ft range with a sentivity that would work. I have the sending unit in the house and the recever in the car. It works real good. Sort of supprised me a bit when I first tried it and it worked. I power the receiver from a cigarett lighter plugin

·
Super Moderator
23,865 Posts
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your responce. No one knew how to expand the recever range. I did a little research and found a baby monitor with a 2,000 ft range with a sentivity that would work. I have the sending unit in the house and the recever in the car. It works real good. Sort of supprised me a bit when I first tried it and it worked. I power the receiver from a cigarett lighter plugin
Great News! Could you supply additional info as to where you got it, Manufacture, and price? I am sure you are not the only one here that would like to "trick out" their remote, too! THANKS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Rick,

The baby monitor I used is the Graco imonitorvibe. Model 2791 single receiver. Range of up to 2000 ft. Cost was $59.99 plus the governors pay raise of $4.14 bringing it to $64.13. The place of purchase was BabiesRus. To power it up in the car i found an old cigerett plugin that was adjustable from 3 volt to 9 volt. It came from Radio Shack. Other wise you would have to bring it in and recharge it then bring it back out, kind of defeating its use. Another way to do it would be to buy the two receiver model and just switch them out when you get in the car. Model 2795. On the plugin I had to solder a new plug on the end to fit the receiver unit. The one receiver unit seems to have a charge that last about a day which is why I would recommend getting the two unit one instead and just switch them out. I found out that when you click the remote starter button close to the sending unit that you have to use two long clicks instead two quick ones that you normaly would use. I did find out that placement of the receiver in the truck is important so you will have to find out where to place yours. And I turned the volume way up and the vibrating funtion off. Thats about it. To me a cheep fix.

·
Super Moderator
23,865 Posts
blackcow1

Thanks for your detailed reply. WOW! Didn't understand you had to make all of these modifications, but thanks to your posting I'm sure it could be repeated. If I come home and find my garage door going up and down and can not figure out who is controlling it I will think of you! Ha Ha
Again Thanks and enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts