Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5/2/11
I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro SLT - Inferno Red - and love it. However, I live in a rural area, and many of the roads I drive are dirt and rock. When it rains, the road dirt splashes onto the FRONT doors, mainly the lower half of the door. There are pseudo-mud flaps on the car, probably original equipment, which appear to be part of the fender flares. The splash behind the REAR wheels is more what I am accustomed to with my previous 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and is acceptable.

Has anyone had any luck with mud flaps keeping road dirt off the front doors? I have read on some of the forums about the need for running boards in conjunction with mud flaps. People comment on my nice car, but say even their truck doesn't get splash like my car does.

Of course, I'd like to spend the least possible to remedy this problem, and hope to benefit from others' actual experience.

Thank you.
Anne

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I suggest you add the Mopar Molded Splash Guards first. I know what you are saying, because mine does exactly the same thing. In fact, I took it to the dealer body shop today to have the rear flares aligned correctly with the the flare segment on the rear doors. The part on the fenders stuck out about 1/4" than the part on the doors and I was afraid this would allow paint to chip along the leading edge of the flare, where it meets the door. It was fixed under warranty. If adding the moulded flares moves the dirt kick-up just farther down the doors, consider adding the molded side step running boards, as these seem to fit to the body better than the oval side steps. :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. Going about the solution in steps makes sense.
Anne

·
Super Moderator
23,009 Posts

Anne: Picture not very clear , but installed front and rear black MOPAR Splashguards on my 2007 R/T (those part # were 82210238 & 09 back in 2008) and MOPAR solid (black) full length running boards. As far as I'm concerned this is the best you can do and work very well. Also Wife likes to use the running boards as a step-up. If you use tube running boards they work at as step, but do not shield the side from mud and snow buildup. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Anne: Picture not very clear , but installed front and rear black MOPAR Splashguards on my 2007 R/T (those part # were 82210238 & 09 back in 2008) and MOPAR solid (black) full length running boards. As far as I'm concerned this is the best you can do and work very well. Also Wife likes to use the running boards as a step-up. If you use tube running boards they work at as step, but do not shield the side from mud and snow buildup. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, Rick. Thanks for the pictures. I haven't taken any pictures of mine yet. I should make this my next project! :cool:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Great replies and especially the pic from Rick. I added the Mopar molded splash gaurds which helps but my Shock came with the tubular side steps which don't block much compared to the running boards.

Cy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Rick, for sharing the picture. I think this will be the solution.
Sharp car you have there !

Anne

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5/16/11

Two questions regarding the Mopar molded mud flaps:

1) On the front, how far do they extend beyond the pseudo splash guard that is part of the kick plate?

2) How far do they extend beyond the fender flare on the outside edge - front? back?

This will help my decision whether or not to purchase them.

Thanks.

Anne

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5/16/11

Clarification on message just sent.

Should say "On the front, how far do they extend BELOW the pseudo splash guard/mud flap that is part of the kick plate?"

Thanks.

Anne

·
Super Moderator
23,009 Posts
5/16/11

Two questions regarding the Mopar molded mud flaps:

1) On the front, how far do they extend beyond the pseudo splash guard that is part of the kick plate?

2) How far do they extend beyond the fender flare on the outside edge - front? back?

This will help my decision whether or not to purchase them.

Thanks.

Anne

About 3 inches out and 4 inches lower on the R/T with the factory skirting

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Rick is about right with the rear coming down further than the fronts on my 2011. Maybe this pic will help show it off:

Cy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I finally installed the Mopar front and rear molded splash guards a couple of weeks ago, as both Rick and Cy have done. This solved the splash problem by 90 - 95%, so I am extremely happy. This being said, I have decided against the Mopar molded side steps, but am planning on a set of S/S Nerf Bars instead. These are really for my mother-in-law, as she has a bad knee. I like the polished look over the black, and these should compliment the black lower body panels and splash guards on my Heat, as well as the 20" Chrome "Pimp" wheels!
:cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
7/5/11

Thanks for all the good input on Mopar Molded Splash Guards.

Love my 2007 Inferno Red Nitro SLT.

Anne

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
5 Participants
Anne
Dodge Nitro Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Dodge Nitro SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing