Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Roof Rack

Kaz,

I was not a big fan of Chrysler products to begin with but my wife and I purchased a 2007 Nitro brand new. It was pretty good at first except for the usual cheap and poorly engineered interior. Visable seams in the dash board and overall poor quality. Soon we started hearing a noise and finally isolated it to the roof rack. Now both are pulling up on the front and it is over mileage by a few thousand miles.

I tried to change the brakes today and was unable to get it done. I have changed pads on my Land Rover, my wife's old BMW, Fords, Chevy's, and have had no problems. I am so disappointed with Chrysler's workmanship I vow to never by another one of their products again. In fact two people within the last week asked me about the Nitro and I told them to find another car and another car company.

Good Luck.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts
Roof rack issue was taken (and still is) care of with new designed rails and now new mounting studs under warranty. I added a complete new interior dash/ door panels with a wood inlay package (covered here) so I'm still very pleased with my purchase. Sorry you are unhappy with yours and having worked years ago I can tell you there are always those that are happy and those that are not and once they make that decision they don't change their mind. Next thing you will not want to have it washed or maintain it, so if you can it would be best to find a buyer (if possible) and move on. Just my opinion based on others.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 07 and my roof rack did the same thing. Passenger side front corner lifted up and flapped and cracked. Need to get it in for a fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After having had my third set of roof rails installed in May09, I was driving from upstate New York to just outside NYC (about 175 miles) in October. About half way into the trip, I started to hear that fimiliar tapping on the roof. When I got home, I completely removed the rails. I could not believe my eyes when I saw that all that was holding down the rails was a piece of double sided tape 3/8" x 1". Are they kidding! What a stupid design. I put heavy duty tape all over the front of the rails. So far so good......but why do we have to put up with this defect?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Continue to have problems with the roof rails

I am now on my thir set and I am now needing a fourth. I took it into the shop to get looked at was told it was 1k out of warranty. I just returned home from a 2k trip and just noticed the problem when I got home. So now they want me to pay for the replacement. What's more why pay for a defect in design. Will be calling corporate and lodge a complaint and see what happens. Such a waste of my time!

·
Super Moderator
23,128 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
2007 Roof Racks

I just purchased a 2007 and I have the issue with the racks. I do not have a factory warranty left but has anyone had any luck getting this fixed for free since it is a defect? If not, I have heard purchasing the 2008 rails was a better choice but will the crossbars that fit the 2007 work with the 2008?
Has anyone tried sealing this to the roof with some sort of RTV or epoxy?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was feeling good (still am) about my Nitro which has been trouble free for it's 5K miles. I read about someone having problems with wind noise caused by the roof rack lifting up. Seems it is held in place by tape. Mine has lifted up on the drivers side. I haven't had any noise yet, and you have to look closely to see that the rack has become unstuck for about 3". So, I will get it in to have my dealer(who is excellent) deal with it next oil change. Take a close look at yours. Regards
If can anyone provide some guidance, it would be appreciated.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts