Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mirrors

Thinking of painting my side mirrors to match the Inferno Red... Does anyone know how/if they can be taken off? - how to remove the actual mirror from it's housing?

And maybe some good tips on painting the plastic... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
hmm, well I have no idea if they come off or not, but I am pretty sure that they make some special paint made specifically for plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Mirrors Issue

I now have 5k miles on my R/T. I am proceeding with mods to personalize the car and I love it. I have one little problem: I have had several close calls dealing with freeway traffic in the massive blind spots encountered with the stock R/T side mirrors. I think the design has them located too far away from the side of the car. I have looked for improved replacements and no cigar. MUTH did say they will have Nitro mirrors in December. I am now real gun shy changing lanes and have spent a lot of time adjusting the mirrors to minimize the blind spot but I can't seem to get rid of it. I am surprised that nowhere on this forum have I read one word about anyone's dissatisfaction with the side mirrors. Am I the only one out of step ?? All help/suggestions will be much appreciated, and I will get the pics up just as soon as I have time.

Fishdist:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Hey Fishdist.

fishdist said:
I now have 5k miles on my R/T. I am proceeding with mods to personalize the car and I love it. I have one little problem: I have had several close calls dealing with freeway traffic in the massive blind spots encountered with the stock R/T side mirrors. I think the design has them located too far away from the side of the car. I have looked for improved replacements and no cigar. MUTH did say they will have Nitro mirrors in December. I am now real gun shy changing lanes and have spent a lot of time adjusting the mirrors to minimize the blind spot but I can't seem to get rid of it. I am surprised that nowhere on this forum have I read one word about anyone's dissatisfaction with the side mirrors. Am I the only one out of step ?? All help/suggestions will be much appreciated, and I will get the pics up just as soon as I have time.

Fishdist:confused:
I've seen remarks alluding to the problem you've mention. My wife has the same problem .I think it begins with being to close to the drivers side mirror. I have my seat all the way back and seem to get a good field of vision.When I move the seat forward the field of vision shrinks. You may want to add those stickon , round,small, reduction mirrors that can be pressed in the lower half of the existing mirrors.They are about 2 inches in dia. and can be found in most Pep Boys/Whitney stores.They DO work well. Hey Fish ,they Kinda screwed up your bay fishing Huh .:mad:
Florida Roadie.
AKA Buzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobody else checked this out yet? Has got to be some way to get them off...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Roadie,

I am tall, have the seat all the way back and have the seat back leaned back a couple notches more, but still no cigar. I am waiting for an aftermarklet item which will improve on the stock units. lacking that, I will look for some other stock items that may be comaptible, perhaps off one of the Jeeps. With a couple hours a day of nasty Northern Calif freeway commute action, I am definitely looking for some improvement. Bigger mirrors, and ones designed to sit closer to the body sides yet still swing away. I have held off getting my stock units painted body color pending replacement with better mirrors. At this point, I am more interested in function than aesthetics, but will go with body color one way or another.

Thanks for the input.

Fishdist
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Mirror issues.

fishdist said:
Roadie,

I am tall, have the seat all the way back and have the seat back leaned back a couple notches more, but still no cigar. I am waiting for an aftermarklet item which will improve on the stock units. lacking that, I will look for some other stock items that may be comaptible, perhaps off one of the Jeeps. With a couple hours a day of nasty Northern Calif freeway commute action, I am definitely looking for some improvement. Bigger mirrors, and ones designed to sit closer to the body sides yet still swing away. I have held off getting my stock units painted body color pending replacement with better mirrors. At this point, I am more interested in function than aesthetics, but will go with body color one way or another.

Thanks for the input.

Fishdist

Hey Fish..Have you tried Speeding.co.uk Check out some of their offerings .Items like "Danger Zone Safety zone mirror" or "Suck it and see " also Blind spot mirrors. They may not have exactly what you want but maybe what you need !! Beats the sh*t out of becoming road pizza .:eek:
Roadie.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Hey Fenrir.no ..Looks like you need to pop the inside door liner to access the bolts that are holding the mirror .I'd check with my service center or even a glass replace outfit. Why not just but mirror caps and paint those ?
Roadie ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Florida Roadie said:
Hey Fenrir.no ..Looks like you need to pop the inside door liner to access the bolts that are holding the mirror .
That is correct. I would be very careful removing the door panel. Dont pull too hard or you might crack the plastic. It is very brittle in some places.

Once there, you will see it is very easy to remove the mirrors. If you have heated mirrors you will need to unplug them as well but it is still a very easy removal.

I would finish the plastic first with a 120 grit sandpaper then 200 then use a filler primer with a good heavy (not dripping) coat and prep sand it with 320. It may be necessary to put a second coat of filler primer and lightly re-sand to achieve a good clean and smooth paint job. Remember the top coat can only look as good as the base. I have done this on a couple of cars before and it can be quite time consuming but worth every minute in the end. I personally think it looks 100% better than chrome when it is done right.

Do youself a favor and dont just pull them off and paint them as is. Do the prep work. I have seen the raw mirrors painted and it looks like the worse orange peal paint job you have ever seen. You can see every nook and crany from 10 feet.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Allan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fcsallan said:
That is correct. I would be very careful removing the door panel. Dont pull too hard or you might crack the plastic. It is very brittle in some places.

Once there, you will see it is very easy to remove the mirrors. If you have heated mirrors you will need to unplug them as well but it is still a very easy removal.

I would finish the plastic first with a 120 grit sandpaper then 200 then use a filler primer with a good heavy (not dripping) coat and prep sand it with 320. It may be necessary to put a second coat of filler primer and lightly re-sand to achieve a good clean and smooth paint job. Remember the top coat can only look as good as the base. I have done this on a couple of cars before and it can be quite time consuming but worth every minute in the end. I personally think it looks 100% better than chrome when it is done right.

Do youself a favor and dont just pull them off and paint them as is. Do the prep work. I have seen the raw mirrors painted and it looks like the worse orange peal paint job you have ever seen. You can see every nook and crany from 10 feet.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Allan
Thanks Allan, I'll have a look at the door panels when I get the time next - might be a while :rolleyes: - do you have any recommendations on paint? I already have some Inferno Red (correct color code) and primer from Mopar - is that good enough?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
You should be fine with the mopar paint and primer. You may want to add a "bumper mix" latex to the paint before spraying. It makes it a bit more flexible in case the mirror gets hit or someone leans on it. This way it won't crack the paint when the plastic flexes. I have done it both ways with good results.
Let us know how it comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Adding New Mirror ??

Hi Guys,

My Nitro came with just the standard mirror. 2 Questions:

1. Where can I buy the Auto dimming mirror with the electonic link controls?

2. Is the plug already in the nitro up under map light cover or will I have to break into a wire.

Thanks for any help.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,699 Posts
i already have the auto dim mirror but without wire link connection

HELP ME TO SOLVE THIS GUYS !!
Sorry it took so long but I have a new computer and needed to re-install several programs to get you these. Don't know how much these will help however. Good Luck!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
sorry my friend to bother u, but i have a question

if i didnt find the manufactered wire link for my mirror installed ,can i do i connection for it cus the mirror have 4 pins to connect??
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,699 Posts
i already have the auto dim mirror but without wire link connection

HELP ME TO SOLVE THIS GUYS !!
I found several aftermarket self dimming mirrors for Nitro but all came with a wiring harness and instructions. Where did you get your mirror? If it was from a wrecking yard why not go back and get the missing harness. If not I suspect you may find your answer there even if the mirror is gone.

Here is a Link to just one of many aftermarket install instructions I found. Good Luck!


Click on Installation Guide Tab @ top
Gentex K2 Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, Gentex Auto Dimming Mirror
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top