Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Diesel Nitro, european version. Now it has 73.000km and about 22 months. I love it.

From this summer, when I road some kilometers over 150 km/h (100 miles/hour) after some minutes I lost power steering: When I left the higway I have to made an special esfort to turn. Around 60 km/h (40m/h) suddenly power steering back. At sunny and hot days, I need less speed and time for the same problem.
Fluid is on right level and seems clean.

Any help?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I see that you posted this on both forums! Check the tension on the belt. Also, if the fluid is dirty, particles can block the orifices in your rack and pinion steering, causing it not to work. Good luck.

:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see that you posted this on both forums!
Yes, many people only read one of them.

Check the tension on the belt. Also, if the fluid is dirty, particles can block the orifices in your rack and pinion steering, causing it not to work.
Tension blet is working fine and fluid seems clean. I think is a hot problem. Whe I drive at high speed motor is running at high revs, so drive pump is running quick. And after some minutes I lost steering power. If i brake and reduce my speed about 40 miles/hour I contnue without it, but if I turn steering wheel suddenly I recover power steering.
About ten days I 'll go to official service, the next one it's about 500 km of home, my car it's on warranty until next december 6th, but I don´t like to stay some days living on a hotel waiting than solve my problem.

thanks

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Whe I drive at high speed motor is running at high revs, so drive pump is running quick. And after some minutes I lost steering power. If i brake and reduce my speed about 40 miles/hour I contnue without it, but if I turn steering wheel suddenly I recover power steering.
thanks
The orifices (holes) in this system are very small. A tiny bit of crud (aluminum from inside the system, etc.) can block these, causing you to lose power. A sudden movement of the steering wheel can cause enough pressure to build up and cause the particle to dislodge and give you back your power. Just a thought. Let me know what your dealer says.

:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suddenly the winter arrived. So now the problem is off. My car fault only on hot days, so I have to wait summer times.
Whiletime dealer changed fluid without cost. They tryed to warm fluid and pump, stay the car running on paint oven, tested on highway at high revs, but now it's working fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts