Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Sorry, Nitro fans. Not the review I expected to write.

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mkaresh 
#1 ·
I just posted a review of the Nitro:

http://www.epinions.com/content_262027710084

I like the styling, and expected to like the vehicle. But there are tons of ergnomic issues, and the ride and handling are both far off the mark.

I am interested in reading others' impressions. If you like the vehicle after driving it, then it doesn't matter what I think.

#2 ·
i drove an sxt on friday

just took it around the block from the dealership, it was hard to get a real feel of the handling just going the short distance i went and with all the traffic but it felt good (cant wait to drive an R/T)
As for the ergnomic issues, the trans tunnel is tall and close to the gas pedal but i actually found that as a plus as it gives a place to rest your leg (just try driving a front wheel car with no trans tunnel on a long trip and you will find yourself searching anywhere you can to rest your foot) so that did not bother me at all. In my opinion the interior is nice. as for the protrusions by the HVAC controls that is in my opinion a non issue i played with all the controls and never had a problem hitting the protusions on the dash. i had no problems reaching any of the controls on the dash. This is just my opinion, the best thing i can say is go and drive one...or atleast sit in one you wont be sorry

#3 ·
mkaresh said:
I just posted a review of the Nitro:

http://www.epinions.com/content_262027710084

I like the styling, and expected to like the vehicle. But there are tons of ergnomic issues, and the ride and handling are both far off the mark.

I am interested in reading others' impressions. If you like the vehicle after driving it, then it doesn't matter what I think.
Thanks for posting the review. I test drove both the SXT and SLT. Couple comments:
1. I didn't have the issue (or at least I didn't notice it) w/ having to duck to get into the driver's seat (I'm 6-3 guy who commented earlier on the size). You're probably right about this, but it definitely wasn't something I noticed. I was definitely concerned w/ making sure I had enough head room (which I did) once seated.
2. The SXT does feel a little bit cheap on the interior, but I also think you have to consider the price point. The SLT has a more refined feel to the interior.
3. Agreed that there was a fair amount (too much) play in the steering. But, I actually did not find the ride overly rough/trucky. I would actually probably opt for the 20-inch wheels/performance tuned suspension to tighten the ride up some.
4. EXACT SAME confusion you have regarding the drive train. Is it 4WD, AWD, both, neither? I was expecting to see a a knob with choices of "2WD" "AWD" and "4WD"--or something along those lines. But you're right, you've only got "2WD" and "4wD". I did drive for a little while in "4WD", and the drive definitely felt 4-wheel drive, not all-wheel drive. Which does leave you to wonder if "2WD" is really "AWD." If you only options really are 2WD or locked in 4WD, that's a lot less attractive for driving in snow, ice, rain, etc.

#4 ·
I think 2WD is really AWD based on descriptions I've read of the transfer case used in the Nitro, and show it as such on my site till I learn otherwise. I think in "2WD" it will still engage the front wheels if the rears slip. This should be easier to test once the 4.0 reaches dealers :)

I am also eager to see what difference the sport suspension makes.

On the HVAC controls, I didn't have a problem hitting protrusions, but reaching the knobs, as they were a couple inches beyond my reach unless I leaned forward. Not a biggee, but this is something many cars do better.

On getting in and out, I tested this again at a dealer the other day. Maybe I'm using an unusual technique to get in, but I'm not aware of another. Essentially, the distance from the seat to the header is less than that from my rear end to the top of my head. If the power seat goes lower than the fixed seat in the SXT, this will help.

Dealers do have the SLT now, and it does look better. But don't find the exterior of the SXT unattractive. I think plenty will sell based on the styling alone.

#5 ·
mkaresh said:
I think 2WD is really AWD based on descriptions I've read of the transfer case used in the Nitro, and show it as such on my site till I learn otherwise. I think in "2WD" it will still engage the front wheels if the rears slip. This should be easier to test once the 4.0 reaches dealers :)

I think you are right about "2wd" really being "AWD" I checked the brochure again and it has the standard drivetrain on the SLT listed as something like "full time 4 wheel drive." So yes, in "2wd" the front tires will engage when necessary, or you can lock in traditional "4wd". Things were so much simpler when you had FWD, RWD, 4WD, and AWD :)

#6 ·
Last week I finally got to see the new Nitro. I am a large elderly man looking to replace my 2000 Dodge Ram Diesel with something smaller but would still have a rugged look. The Nitro looked to be the answer.
My first surprise was I had a hard time even getting into the vehicle.Then once in, how do you get unfolded to get out. The roofline comes down over the side so far that a tall person has a problem.
I liked the looks of the Nitro but it seems I will have to look outside Chrysler products to fill my needs. This ticks me off as I have been a Chrysler owner since buying my first Scamp in 1971.

#7 ·
I've called the dealership and am looking to take a test drive soon. When you say that a tall person would have a problem with the roofline, about how tall do you think that would be exactly? I'm about 6 feet even. And is it just getting in and out that you didn't like about it or was it anything else? I can't wait to try it myself.

#8 ·
Hi NitroNacho;
I am 6' 3" and old age is catching up to me, especially in the area of not being as supple as I used to be.
Once in the Nitro, I found it to be a vehicle I could enjoy. There was quite a bit of room, the dash layout was to my liking and rear storage looked to be quite adequate for my needs. I didn't bother to check rear seating as I knew I wouldn't be buying one. I really liked the rugged look the Nitro had when viewing it from a distance.
There's not more to tell you as I gave up on the Nitro before driving it.

#9 ·
Sorry I didn't reply earlier--forgot to request notification of replies.

In another thread one owner confirmed that the power seat helps, as you can position the driver seat lower with it.

Many people have reported not having the problem I describe--but I think many also have the power seat.

There are many Chrysler products besides the Nitro. The Jeep Liberty's exterior doesn't have the same appeal, but it handles and rides better, and is easier to get into and out of.

Once you are in, no problems, as the ceiling goes way higher than the door openings.

#10 ·
I'm only 5'11" but with a fairly long torso and, yes, I too noticed it can be difficult to crunch one's body enough to get in. I've adapted a kind of angled, head-first entrance that makes my 5'9" wife chuckle. And the only things I don't like about the interior of ours is that the pedal wells are indeed far too narrow and the driver side doorskin can dig into your left leg after awhile. Still, it's a fun vehicle to drive and "interesting" inside and out. After all, ours was bought for my wife, anyhow.

#11 ·
In the showroom I figured out that rear first is the way to go. Try backing in (as opposed to stepping in sideways), tucking your head to your chest and/or bending forward. Kind of the same way you sit down on a toilet :) I find it much easier to bend my head forward than sideways. Give it a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.