Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Nitro with 16" tires. It has a full size spare. I put a reese hitch on it so we could carry our bicyles of a trip. The spare had to ride in the back obviously taking up alot of room. I contacted the dealer where we bought it wanting to purchase a "toy" spare. They stated my Nitro came with 17' tires and no "toy" spare was available. All that said, would a older 16"Toy" spare had the same hub diameter as my car?
Thanks for any info.

·
Super Moderator
23,463 Posts
Welcome Sloan!

Guess I don't understand why you had to remove the spare tire from it's original location? Is it because you installed a non-factory hitch, instead of a receiver type?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ric,
Yes it is a Reese hitch that fits many models of cars. I can put it on with no problems, but I can't get the full sized spare out in case I had a flat without removing the hitch. I was hoping the smaller "toy" spare would work.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Ric,
Yes it is a Reese hitch that fits many models of cars. I can put it on with no problems, but I can't get the full sized spare out in case I had a flat without removing the hitch. I was hoping the smaller "toy" spare would work.
Can you post a picture of this hitch? I have never seen a hitch for the Nitro that required the removal of the spare. I have 20" wheels, and the 20" factory donut takes up most of the room.

The only Nitros that came with a full sized spare had the factory tow package, unless that is only with the 20" wheels - probably to save money. As long as the bolt diameter was correct and the donut fits around your brake caliper, I do not see why it wouldn't work.

:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts