Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I bought a used 08 slt Nitro 4x4 Nitro.

Me and the wife really have enjoyed it for the last 2 weeks. However When I turn the wheel completely to the right or left in 2x4, the Nitro feels like it is getting a bit stuck
(such as a full U turn/ or doing circles), when I do the same in 4x4 the Nitro starts to bind and if I press firmly on the gas pedal, the rear wheels jerk-spin and lock as if the front wheels are locked/stuck as they are not moving.

I brought the Nitro back to the dealer. They say that Jeep don't make the greatest 4x4 and they are not as smooth as Subaru or the Cherokee quadra-track. They didn't let me try another Nitro!

Has anybody experienced this? I searched the forum I could not find anything about this issue.

Also I have factory tires:p225/75R16. I hoisted the car there were no scratch mark in the wheel wells. The problem almost felt like the wheels locked up??? any ideas?

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
It's the universal joints in the front axle stiffening up. I'd had Jeeps for the last 20 years before my 07 Nitro sxt and in the Jeep manual it states that once a month the vehicle is to be driven on loose surface doing figure eights in FWD to keep the joints loose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Nitro has CV joints not universal joints; does this still apply?
I do try to use 4wd whenever i can to keep the system working properly anyway..

·
Registered
40 Posts
The binding when turning full lock in 2wd is a common problem, i've talked about it on another post; it could be the spindle angles are wrong and if that is the case one wheel will be on the wrong angle (the inside wheel has to turn sharper than the outside because it's turning circle is smaller than the outside wheel; correct spindle angles should solve this).
The other thing is , as a Toyota engineer that i was talking to about my nitro said; if it's on full lock, you (i) might be being a bit over critical about it, after all you're only on full lock for a tiny percentage of the cars milage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts