Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sound like a low moan when you switch to position drive. At first I took it for the sound of brake pads, it was like as if they hit the sand. There was a dealer, he changed the oil in the gearbox. For some time the sound stopped, but then appeared again. Apparently upon heating oil.Diler advised again to change the oil as it relates to the fact that oil is not changed for a long time (135 000 км - 83 885 miles) and the replacement can not be completely drained the old oil.
The dealer also said that I should prepare for the repair in the future. Is it all so seriously? The car is behaving normally.
At the same time told that these gearboxes are extremely reliable and very rarely repaired.
Some mechanics at the dealership say that the sound is not dangerous and he should disappear. I hear it very much if you strained to hear, but it annoys me when something is not OK in my the car.
Has anyone encountered this problem? RT 2008.
One more question. Can the gearbox to break suddenly? Or it first goes into emergency mode? Hardly believe that maybe the sudden destruction :mad:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere that these are Mercedes gearboxes in the Nitro. Can you confirm, Rick?

·
Super Moderator
23,328 Posts
I'm sure I read somewhere that these are Mercedes gearboxes in the Nitro. Can you confirm, Rick?
What are we talking about here? Manual transmission or an Automatic or the electrically controlled transfer case? Not sure I would use the word gearbox in the US, but maybe in Russia that is what is used.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is Daimler automatic transmittion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday, talking to an engineer from Chrysler, who works in Germany. He said that perhaps the sound - the result of inclusion of a link inside the gearbox and should not be dangerous. These gearboxes he called very reliable. For 5 years there were many cars with such boxes, but repaired only 3 of them.About changing the oil, he said that Chrysler until recently considered these gearboxes unattended, and only recently emerged indication 80 000 miles to change the oil in them.
He also said that the gearbox can not be destroyed overnight. In general I will go there will be clear.
If someone can say something in this situation, I'd be grateful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts