Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, at first, I read that the towing capacity would be 5000 lbs. for both the 4.0 or the 3.7 with the auto. Now the dodge site says 5000 for the RT with the Class III hitch, and the 'Nitro can tow trailers up to 3500 pounds with the addition of Class II weight-carrying trailer hitch'. Does that mean the Class III hitch will not be an availble option for the Nitros with the 3.7 and automatic?

By the way, did anyone notice we lost an MPG for the 4x4? The dodge website used to list mileage at 18/24, now 17/24 for the 3.7 4x4. I wonder what real life mileage will turn out to be; I want to trade a Durango to get better mileage, but if the mileage keeps slipping down as it gets closer to release, I don't know if it will be worth taking the trade hit...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Towing is 3500 with the Class II hitch. The class II is what gets installed on the SLT. If you want Class III hitch on the NON RT model, go after market, but be prepared to void warranty.
Look at it this way...
210 HP = SLT = 3500 towing = Class II hitch
255 HP = RT = 5000 towing = Class III hitch

Also,

The Jeep Liberty I drive with the same 3.7 engine, auto trans, gets me 18.1 MPG average on the trip computer. I would expect the Nitro to be about the same... 20 to 23 on highway... 15 to 17 in the city...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

I got into a discussion about the Nitro R/T with the towing kit for towing a SPEC Miata to races. With a 5000lb towing capacity, a light 900lb 16' aluminum trailer and a 2000-2400lb Miata, do you think the Nitro R/T would hold up?

Has anyone towed anything yet?

Doku

1 - 7 of 7 Posts