Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,262 Posts
Thanks for this. I was looking for a site like this that compared of the same item at different it . I wonder how accurate it is.

Thanks for your reply and Welcome! We are here to help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
f/s Hitch for 2007 Nitro

Hey All,
Yes, I'm new to this forum. I stumbled across your forum trying to figure out ways to list my hitch for sale. I promise...this is legit...i'm not a nigerian prince looking to sell one :D

It's a class III U-Haul hitch (rated up to 5000 lbs). I installed it back in '07 when I first got my Nitro, but now the lease is up, so I don't have a use for it any longer.

All bolts & washers are included & I'm throwing in the wiring harness as well (it's one that you have to splice into the wiring of the Nitro. I did so right in the back 'compartment' where the jack is stored).

I'm asking $150 for it (U-Haul sells it new for $190) & is in perfect condition (I just gotta clean it up w/ some soap & water). Reasonable offers will be entertained as well, so don't be shy about asking either ;)

I prefer it to be a local pickup - I'm in NC, and local for me is anywhere between High Point/Winston Salem to about an hour east of Raleigh. Shipping is possible as well, but we can discuss details of that if you're interested. (If you're in the Ashville region, I'll be out there Memorial Day weekend. Out by the OBX area? I'll be over there sometime in July)

I also have a spare mount & ball as well that can be had for $20 as well.

Any questions, feel free to ask!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new Nitro Dentonator with 30 gb harddrive, nav, sat radio, 4x4, sunroof and tow package. So far so good. Have not owned a dodge since 1997 and have never owned an SUV. I think the owners manual is lacking. The thing mentions nothing in relation to towing a trailer? UGH. Good thing we have forums!

·
Super Moderator
24,262 Posts
Just bought a new Nitro Dentonator with 30 gb harddrive, nav, sat radio, 4x4, sunroof and tow package. So far so good. Have not owned a dodge since 1997 and have never owned an SUV. I think the owners manual is lacking. The thing mentions nothing in relation to towing a trailer? UGH. Good thing we have forums!
Welcome! Sounds Cool! Post some pictures. I also have the trailer package as I have on last three or four vehicles and never needed or really wanted to pull a trailer but wanted all the HD equipment package.

Here is a new LINK that I created for Trailer Towing using my 2007 R/T Owners Manual. The info shown should be usable for your new 2010 NITRO. Hope this answers some questions not already addressed on your DVD Owners Manual. Also I thought I read somewhere you had the option as a new NITRO owner to request a paper Owners Manual, at no charge. If not even if you had to pay a fee for one it might be a good investment. Might want to check that option out. Good luck and hopefully this Link will help.

http://www.dodge-nitro.com/forums/f5/nitro-trailer-towing-5335/#post11330

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but I will answer it anyway. Anytime one adds a factory electric/electronic accessory, the vehicle must be connected to a StarScan computer, so that the VIN can be updated to show the new installed part as if it were factory installed. This also allows whatever was added to actually work! Go figure - more money for the dealer. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Dodge Nitro R/T and tow a 4000lb Trailer with electric brakes. I tow in 4th gear but as I get up to 90 km/hr (55 Miles/hr) it starts to climb over 3000rpm. On interstates I would like to cruise around 100km/hr (60 miles/hr). Is it safe to switch to Drive to lower the rpm or should I stay in 4th gear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Dodge Nitro R/T and tow a 4000lb Trailer with electric brakes. I tow in 4th gear but as I get up to 90 km/hr (55 Miles/hr) it starts to climb over 3000rpm. On interstates I would like to cruise around 100km/hr (60 miles/hr). Is it safe to switch to Drive to lower the rpm or should I stay in 4th gear?

·
Registered
1 Posts
towing and trailer brakes

I have an '07 4wd with the towing package. I am wondering if it is already wired for trailer brakes? It has the 7 pin plug.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
You should be all set to go. If your trailer has a round 7-pin plug, all you need to do is plug it into the round receptacle by the hitch. If your trailer has a standard flat 4-pin connector, you will need a round 7-pin to 4-flat adapter which will plug into the receptacle first, then plug your trailer into the end of the adapter. Your Nitro should have come from the factory with the adapter, as my Jeep Commander did. I have one - the part number stamped on it is 56019824. I am not sure about trailer brakes, as these did not become available on the Jeep Commander until 08 or 09. My 06 Commander did not have them, even though I had the 7 pin connector, so I do not believe that Chrysler offered trailer brakes until a year or two ago, at least on the SUV's. If your Nitro did have them, there should be a module located under the dash, on the drivers side. Hope this answers your question.
:cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Interesting to read, that the Rules are a little bit other than I am used to.

My 2WD is allowed to tow 2 tons (4400 lb), the 4WD is alowed up to 3.5 tons (7700 lb)
We are not looking for a Weght Distribution of 60% / 40% as described in the Manual, but we have a maximum Load on the Hitch (mine with 100kg), that should always be reached.

Since some Years, our Plugs have 13 Poles, elder with 7 Poles.

Maximum Standard Speed is 80 km/h (50 mph)
Maximum Speed with some technical Additions (Tires max 6 Years old, hydraulic Dampers, Anti Side Rolling Clutch) and some burocratic Issues (the technical Papers of the Trailer have to be changed, the Empty Weight of the car needs to be higher than the Max Weight of the Trailer, a Special "100"-Sticker with a special Stamp needs to be placed on the back of the Trailer) is 100 km/h (60 mph).

No Problems with Towing with 100 km/h. Accelaration is still fantastic,
and I am always using the highest Gear (in flat Areas rolling in the 6th Gear with 2000rpm). In the Hills driving with 2500rpm "upstairs" and I have also no Problems like maybe becoming slower or no reserves for Acceleration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 4.0 is only rated to 2000lbs stock
3500lbs w/ tow package (engine oil cooler and maybe a mechanical fan)
>3500lbs to 5000lbs with tow package & weight distribution hitch.

As stated, no tow/haul button on the 4.0.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
The 4.0 is only rated to 2000lbs stock
3500lbs w/ tow package (engine oil cooler and maybe a mechanical fan)
>3500lbs to 5000lbs with tow package & weight distribution hitch.

As stated, no tow/haul button on the 4.0.
Welcome to the forum. All the tow package from the factory adds is the hitch, wiring, and a full size spare. There is also a wire under the dash, by the steering column, to hook up an electric trailer brake controller. On the 4.0, it also includes the oil cooler and the mechanical fan. The 3.7 does not require these, as the 3.7 is built to be a truck engine, whereas the 4.0 is a car engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I am in the UK and am looking to buy a diesel 2.7 sxt auto. I want to pull a boat and trailer which has a combined weight of 2000kgs. Does anyone know if I will be able to tow this weight?

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I am in the UK and am looking to buy a diesel 2.7 sxt auto. I want to pull a boat and trailer which has a combined weight of 2000kgs. Does anyone know if I will be able to tow this weight?

Many thanks in advance
That wouldn't be any problem, I tow my caravan with my 2.8CRD and it works like a charm.
My caravan weighs around 2500kg fully loaded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
towbar

Hi can anyone shed some light on what I need to buy to be able to fit a towbar onto a 2007 nitro with 20inch spare wheel still fixed on underside of car or is there a certain make of towbar that I can buy to fit .thanks dennis

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
The Mopar unit bolts to the frame rails. The threaded holes are already in the frame rails.

·
Super Moderator
24,262 Posts
12/16/2014
How-To Guides
learn how to load up, get hitched and hit the road

"Towing is about more than just power – it is an art form. The skill and patience to safely deliver a heavy load, to properly back a trailer into a tight spot, and to keep a trailer going straight down a highway — require practice and an understanding of your truck’s capabilities. However, if you do your homework regarding proper equipment and practices, the process soon becomes almost second nature. Back to School Welcome to Ram Trucks School of Towing, three tutorial videos, each focused on one important aspect of towing."

Welcome to Ram Trucks School of Towing

·
Super Moderator
24,262 Posts
Safety Tips for Trailering a Boat

Safety Tips for Trailering a Boat

Published on Apr 30, 2015

Join boats.com for the Tips for Boat Towing video series, brought to you by Ram Trucks. In this video we'll cover safety tips; everything you need to know from the pre-tow safety check, to on-the-road trailering, to tips for using the boat ramp. Be sure to check out the rest of the towing videos in the boats.com video library, where we'll touch on topic ranging from towing on sand (for you duck hunters) to towing in the mountains, as we put this Ram 1500 Outdoorsman through its paces.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts