Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford wants ‘transparency’ with fed intervention in autos

Posted Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009, 2:38 pm in Employee News

Ford Motor Co. Executive Chairman Bill Ford Jr. said Monday that government intervention has taken the automobile industry into uncharted waters and called for “transparency” in Washington’s management of rival General Motors Corp., but he also said the industry only has a future if the government plays a more active role in it, The Detroit News reported.

“There are issues that we just don’t have answers to yet in terms of government ownership in our industry and what that’s going to mean,” Ford told reporters at the National Summit, a three-day gathering of the nation’s economic, educational and business leaders. “We don’t know what the implications are going to be, but one thing’s for sure: I like our position.”

Ford is the only U.S. automaker that has not filed for bankruptcy, has not accepted a taxpayer bailout and is not subject to government control, the News said.

“We can make quick decisions, we can make long-term decisions and we can continue to work the plan we have in place with minimal distraction,” Ford said and the News reported. “(It) does give us an advantage. Now, what are the longer term implications? I don’t know. And I think it’s important that we do have transparency, though, with the government in terms of the decision-making process at General Motors and, I guess to a lesser extent, at Chrysler.” (The Detroit News)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts