Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received this months Consumer Reports. They ran an article on Small SUV's .What caught my attention first was they had the Dodge Nitro listed as a small SUV. A vehicle that weighs 4300 plus pounds ,seats 5 and puts our 260 hp and 265 pounds of torque and a tow ability exceeding 5000 pounds. . Small SUVs like the Forrester ,sportage & CRV are among this list .What really pissed me off was the last place finish of the Nitro. Out of 17 listed SUVs the Nitro finished last .It was the only vehicle that was awarded a full black circle .The lowest mark available .Who in the hell are these people that grade vehicles ?
Florida Roadie
:mad:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
24,471 Posts
Consumer Reports Reviews usually don't work for me. I have bought at least two vehicles that I have really enjoyed (Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Nitro R/T) that they just gave really bad reviews. Were they wrong? Yes I think so. A better source of information for any large purchase I have found are Discussion Groups where real owners express their views. I did this when constructing a HD Home Theater several years ago, and did not make mistakes on purchasing and construction as others did.

If you review all Discussion Groups concerning the Nitro you will find many early issues but few with the Nitro R/T. I decided that I would only want to consider an R/T late last year when they first came out, and I attempted to order one, due to what I had read from these Forums.

I did not purchase my Nitro until I saw the specks on the 2008 Nitro that FT 4WD was not going to be offered as was originally planned and shown on the Company Web Site (if you want that option you now must buy a Jeep Brand). The R/T has a different engine, transmission and suspension that other Nitros that experienced early problems that all have been addressed I believe.

Just look at those that post, most are very positive with their purchase. To me this means more that all the published reviews put together. Lets face it, if everyone that purchased a new Nitro (any model) was upset with it, these Forums would be full of un-happy owners and they are not!

It is just human nature that those that are displeased get involved more! Not the case I see with Nitro owners. They are a happy bunch. I know I am very pleased with my purchase and when there was talk about it being discontinued, I said I am sure I got mine before they did. That rumor may now not be true, hopefully. With Nitro's new powertrain lifetime warranty (7/26/07) I plan to make this my last new Car/Truck/SUV, or whatever Consumer Reports wants to call it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
read the contract on the lifetime powertrain warranty!!!!

rickaren said:
Consumer Reports Reviews usually don't work for me. I have bought at least two vehicles that I have really enjoyed (Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Nitro R/T) that they just gave really bad reviews. Were they wrong? Yes I think so. A better source of information for any large purchase I have found are Discussion Groups where real owners express their views. I did this when constructing a HD Home Theater several years ago, and did not make mistakes on purchasing and construction as others did.

If you review all Discussion Groups concerning the Nitro you will find many early issues but few with the Nitro R/T. I decided that I would only want to consider an R/T late last year when they first came out, and I attempted to order one, due to what I had read from these Forums.

I did not purchase my Nitro until I saw the specks on the 2008 Nitro that FT 4WD was not going to be offered as was originally planned and shown on the Company Web Site (if you want that option you now must buy a Jeep Brand). The R/T has a different engine, transmission and suspension that other Nitros that experienced early problems that all have been addressed I believe.

Just look at those that post, most are very positive with their purchase. To me this means more that all the published reviews put together. Lets face it, if everyone that purchased a new Nitro (any model) was upset with it, these Forums would be full of un-happy owners and they are not!

It is just human nature that those that are displeased get involved more! Not the case I see with Nitro owners. They are a happy bunch. I know I am very pleased with my purchase and when there was talk about it being discontinued, I said I am sure I got mine before they did. That rumor may now not be true, hopefully. With Nitro's new powertrain lifetime warranty (7/26/07) I plan to make this my last new Car/Truck/SUV, or whatever Consumer Reports wants to call it!
:D rickaren, guess that i learned a lesson the hard way by buying my nitro, a 2007 slt in november of 2006. should have waited until the 2008 model came out or maybe even purchased the 2008 r/t, yes i was one of those displeased bunch of people and i had every right to be. sure the nitro was a new line of vehicles for dodge but i would think that before an item or vehicle is sold to the public that it would be put through extensive tests to make sure that all is well and it would be a great seller. it's very hard to understand how one of my problems was.......my engine would stop/die/restart/downshift or whatever on it's own 4 wheels and without me touching anything except for the steering wheel and as soon as i would say, "what the _ _ _ _?" everything would be normal again except for my attitude and frustration and guess what, no engine light stayed on and no code came on. it happened 3 times and two times that i brought it into the dodge dealership where i bought it and they had no clue on how to fix it and finally on the third time i brought it to the dodge dealership they said that other cases of this were happening up north and that a tsb was coming out on it. man, dodge did a great job testing their product before they sold it to the public.

i'm over it now. after all the dangerous situations my nitro put myself and my family thru, i forgive it and i am hoping that the lifetime powertrain warranty that i purchased for $750.00 with a $100.00 deductible will last "me" a lifetime.

on the lifetime powertrain warranty information that i signed with the dodge dealership, everything is okay......but the contract is listed as a "genuine daimlerchrysler service contract!!!" oh boy, genuine!!

there is a discrepancy with this contract and no one at dodge mentioned this, i will bring it to everybodies attention! the contract states, "important! the maximum reimbursable amount should a covered component fail will be the total cost of the repairs, per visit, less the deductible, or the cash value of the vehicle whichever is less! the cash value of the vehicle will be determined by the average retail value as listed in the current nada used car pricing guide. in situations where the repairs costs exceed the cash value of the vehicle, the remainder of the plan coverage will be cancelled.".

so, the word reimbursable was not mentioned to me and the plan coverage may be cancelled if the nada used car pricing says that my vehicle at that time is not worth it to get a new transmission say if i have 200,000 miles on it and i was told it is a "lifetime powertrain warranty"!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't see in here where if they cancel my coverage because of this that they will buy my vehicle from me, give me a new one, or whatever!!!

the only thing that dodge dealership told me when i signed and bought the contract was that every 50,000 miles i have to bring it in to the dealership and let them do a free inspection of the powertrain system. that's it, nothing else!! i will be talking with them soon and will relay all to everybody. if i am missing something then please inform me, i do make mistakes and am willing to admit it whether in person or in writing/typing. thanks.

mcnabb in lousiana............:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
corsairkid said:
They never seem to like american cars. BTW, what was #1?
Kid the first 4 went like this ...1. Toyota RAV 4 , 2 . Hyundai Santa Fe..3. Subaru Forrester . 4. Honda CR-V. This has become like a broken record with this Rag. Mag. For the life of me I can't fathom how the Nitro is in the same class as these small/compact SUVs .Cripes the Forrester could actually be sold at "Toys R Us ".:D
Roadie
:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MCNABB said:
:D rickaren, guess that i learned a lesson the hard way by buying my nitro, a 2007 slt in november of 2006. should have waited until the 2008 model came out or maybe even purchased the 2008 r/t, yes i was one of those displeased bunch of people and i had every right to be. sure the nitro was a new line of vehicles for dodge but i would think that before an item or vehicle is sold to the public that it would be put through extensive tests to make sure that all is well and it would be a great seller. it's very hard to understand how one of my problems was.......my engine would stop/die/restart/downshift or whatever on it's own 4 wheels and without me touching anything except for the steering wheel and as soon as i would say, "what the _ _ _ _?" everything would be normal again except for my attitude and frustration and guess what, no engine light stayed on and no code came on. it happened 3 times and two times that i brought it into the dodge dealership where i bought it and they had no clue on how to fix it and finally on the third time i brought it to the dodge dealership they said that other cases of this were happening up north and that a tsb was coming out on it. man, dodge did a great job testing their product before they sold it to the public.

i'm over it now. after all the dangerous situations my nitro put myself and my family thru, i forgive it and i am hoping that the lifetime powertrain warranty that i purchased for $750.00 with a $100.00 deductible will last "me" a lifetime.

on the lifetime powertrain warranty information that i signed with the dodge dealership, everything is okay......but the contract is listed as a "genuine daimlerchrysler service contract!!!" oh boy, genuine!!

there is a discrepancy with this contract and no one at dodge mentioned this, i will bring it to everybodies attention! the contract states, "important! the maximum reimbursable amount should a covered component fail will be the total cost of the repairs, per visit, less the deductible, or the cash value of the vehicle whichever is less! the cash value of the vehicle will be determined by the average retail value as listed in the current nada used car pricing guide. in situations where the repairs costs exceed the cash value of the vehicle, the remainder of the plan coverage will be cancelled.".

so, the word reimbursable was not mentioned to me and the plan coverage may be cancelled if the nada used car pricing says that my vehicle at that time is not worth it to get a new transmission say if i have 200,000 miles on it and i was told it is a "lifetime powertrain warranty"!!!!!!!!!!!! i don't see in here where if they cancel my coverage because of this that they will buy my vehicle from me, give me a new one, or whatever!!!

the only thing that dodge dealership told me when i signed and bought the contract was that every 50,000 miles i have to bring it in to the dealership and let them do a free inspection of the powertrain system. that's it, nothing else!! i will be talking with them soon and will relay all to everybody. if i am missing something then please inform me, i do make mistakes and am willing to admit it whether in person or in writing/typing. thanks.

mcnabb in lousiana............:D
Well Said Mc Nabb. You'd think that the very least they would do is either blow in your ear or take you out to dinner first before laying you over that barrel. I'd say your issues with that warranty are well justified .If no one else will say it ,I will, "Thanks for being a lab rat " so that guy's like me with the 08 R/T can have some fun with our new toys.
Roadie
AKA Buzz
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
did you read up on your contract?

Florida Roadie said:
Well Said Mc Nabb. You'd think that the very least they would do is either blow in your ear or take you out to dinner first before laying you over that barrel. I'd say your issues with that warranty are well justified .If no one else will say it ,I will, "Thanks for being a lab rat " so that guy's like me with the 08 R/T can have some fun with our new toys.
Roadie
AKA Buzz
:D
:eek: florida roadie, i'm guessing that we would all have the same service contract for the lifetime powertrain warranty. if not then they "screwed" all of the early buyers of the dodge nitro, again!!! still have not addressed the dealership yet, waiting to talk to them in person. my point would be like all of the things i have talked about earlier and i signed the contract with mark dodge dealership in lake charles, la. so, this contract is valid. the genuine contract with daimler/chrysler, i did not sign and there is not a place to sign it, they do not ask for a signature, they just want to lay down their rules as a take it or leave it. i know, the best way to solve this issue is to talk to them. will do so in a few days, as for now, i'm just talking to all of you to let you know what is actually on the contracts so to speak with the two different parties. hhhmmmm, is this two different contracts or the same contract or is it just a "genuine" contract. to me if i receive something and it says "genuine" on it, i always think that it is fake. will relay the answer as soon as i embark on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcnabb in louisiana.............:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey McNabb..

MCNABB said:
:eek: florida roadie, i'm guessing that we would all have the same service contract for the lifetime powertrain warranty. if not then they "screwed" all of the early buyers of the dodge nitro, again!!! still have not addressed the dealership yet, waiting to talk to them in person. my point would be like all of the things i have talked about earlier and i signed the contract with mark dodge dealership in lake charles, la. so, this contract is valid. the genuine contract with daimler/chrysler, i did not sign and there is not a place to sign it, they do not ask for a signature, they just want to lay down their rules as a take it or leave it. i know, the best way to solve this issue is to talk to them. will do so in a few days, as for now, i'm just talking to all of you to let you know what is actually on the contracts so to speak with the two different parties. hhhmmmm, is this two different contracts or the same contract or is it just a "genuine" contract. to me if i receive something and it says "genuine" on it, i always think that it is fake. will relay the answer as soon as i embark on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcnabb in louisiana.............:D
Bud I wasn't there at signing time but !! Couldn't you have taken till the expiration date of the factory warranty before signing up for the extended warranty ?It usually works that way. Personally I have never had a really poor car or truck with the exception of The Chevy Vega .My experience with a lemon product was a boat that I bought new .I paid $178 K for 34 ft. diesel powered dog. It was powered in Tampa Fl. for a builder in Mass. I used it to run off shore for Bill Fishing. The very first 36 trips out it broke down 36 times. It was sooo bad I felt ;ike crying,maybe even throwing the wife overboard. :D The builder and power company ,both very well known ,jerked me around till they thought I would just go away like a bad dream. I went away alright but straight to a lawyer. I had to sue them to get any real problem solving attention .It cost them $90 K to modify the hull and repower the boat. When I splashed the boat again I went right out and bought an extended warranty for the vessel because I knew the two involved companies had become the Enemy.. Extended warranties are just insurance policy's againts trouble. Personally speaking my thoughts go like this .Why insure something that's so bad your better off without it. They say "Free advice is worth what it costs " but I'd get a clear ubderstanding regarding the language in you agreement BEFORE I had trouble. I'm certain that all your Buds @ this site wish you the very best in you endevor ,I know I do.
Florida Roadie,
AKA Buzz :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
who knows what is true?

Florida Roadie said:
Bud I wasn't there at signing time but !! Couldn't you have taken till the expiration date of the factory warranty before signing up for the extended warranty ?It usually works that way. Personally I have never had a really poor car or truck with the exception of The Chevy Vega .My experience with a lemon product was a boat that I bought new .I paid $178 K for 34 ft. diesel powered dog. It was powered in Tampa Fl. for a builder in Mass. I used it to run off shore for Bill Fishing. The very first 36 trips out it broke down 36 times. It was sooo bad I felt ;ike crying,maybe even throwing the wife overboard. :D The builder and power company ,both very well known ,jerked me around till they thought I would just go away like a bad dream. I went away alright but straight to a lawyer. I had to sue them to get any real problem solving attention .It cost them $90 K to modify the hull and repower the boat. When I splashed the boat again I went right out and bought an extended warranty for the vessel because I knew the two involved companies had become the Enemy.. Extended warranties are just insurance policy's againts trouble. Personally speaking my thoughts go like this .Why insure something that's so bad your better off without it. They say "Free advice is worth what it costs " but I'd get a clear ubderstanding regarding the language in you agreement BEFORE I had trouble. I'm certain that all your Buds @ this site wish you the very best in you endevor ,I know I do.
Florida Roadie,
AKA Buzz :D
:D i was "told" by the salesman, finance manager and sales manager at mark dodge dealership that dodge was only offering this "lifetime powertrain warranty" for a few months only to people that bought their nitros or other dodges that qualified, early and it was for a very limited time. this warranty does not go into effect until after my 3yr/36,000 mile warranty ends. my nitro just made it's first birthday and i have over 28,000 miles on it and climbing faster to the end of the warranty in miles than in the years. things will come about when i have my little talk with them. in the past, one of my vehicles was a 1993 ford ranger stx supercab 4x4 that i bought brand new, i kept it for almost 10 years and had almost 200,000 miles on it with no extra warranty.

but being this is a once in a lifetime warranty for a vehicle that i have, hell yeah i'm going to get it. the main reason is because i bought a brand new 2003 dodge neon to be used to travel back and forth to work because of the better than average fuel mileage and one day i noticed transmission fluid coming out of the dipstick tube. brought it in to the dodge dealership and they had to rebuild the transmission because there were metal shavings in the fluid and from this experience with a vehicle having less than 20,000 miles on it and having to rebuild the transmission, well my confidence level went down. also with the nitro i am not even able to check my own transmission level because of no dipstick which is still not normal for me. appreciate the interest in my stories and comments, florida roadie. signing off on this one for now.:D

mcnabb in louisiana.............
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top