Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
That was the first thing I tried. Sounds to me its the TIPM

I'm interested.
Now what? If you purchase one or have it installed remember you may receive a full refund from Chrysler because of a Class Action Law Suit. Better yet call Chrysler Customer Service and see what they say or have your Dealer do so. They are not universal (these are VIN specific) and you may have to have it set by the Dealership even if you install it. Again Good Luck!

One member in the past said to check the TIPM ground wire. Doubt that is it and you might have already do that anyway.

Chrysler Totally Integrated Power Module Lawsuit

Defective TIPMs Lead to Power Problems

Judge Says Chrysler TIPM Class-Action Lawsuit Can Move Forward

Amended Complaint - The Center for Auto Safety (now covers ALL Dodge Nitros)

NHTSA investigating power modules on Chrysler Group SUVs and minivans

·
Registered
6 Posts
update the nitro is currently in the shop. i called Chrysler customer service yesterday and they were not willing to do anything for me because there was no known recall on my vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
update the nitro is currently in the shop. i called Chrysler customer service yesterday and they were not willing to do anything for me because there was no known recall on my vehicle.
No but there is a defective part and a Lawsuit (if the Totally Integrated Power Module is the issue) on your vehicle!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I brought that up to them and they still claim there is nothing they can do about reimbursement. i find that to be pretty poor on their part

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Power Module Defect Suit

Drivers Tell Chrysler It's Confused In Power Module Defect Suit

By Aebra Coe

Law360, New York (March 30, 2015, 5:43 PM ET) -- Consumers suing Chrysler Group LLC over alleged defective power modules told a New York federal judge Friday that the automaker improperly confused pleading with proof when it argued the class action should be tossed because they can’t prove the company was aware of the problem.

Contrary to the carmaker’s contentions, the 12 plaintiffs from 11 states say their complaint uses “great detail” to allege Chrysler flouted consumer protection laws and breached express and implied warranties by building and selling vehicles with the defective part, which powers...
SOURCE

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
US safety agency denies request

US safety agency denies request to investigate millions of Fiat Chrysler power control modules

July 28, 2015

DETROIT (AP) — U.S. auto safety regulators have rejected a request from an advocacy group to investigate power system failures in almost 5 million Fiat Chrysler vehicles that potentially could cause stalling and other problems.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in documents posted Tuesday that two fuel pump relay recalls took care of stalling and "no start" problems, and that there was no valid evidence to support the group's other claims.

The Center for Auto Safety, a nonprofit group founded by Ralph Nader, filed a petition last August asking for an investigation. It contended that an electrical power control module used by Chrysler in millions of vehicles since 2007 can go haywire, causing them to stall in traffic and cut off devices powered by electricity. The allegation covered Ram pickup trucks, Chrysler and Dodge minivans, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango and Dodge Journey SUVs, the Jeep Wrangler, and other models.

But the agency said it analyzed consumer complaint data and determined that problems were addressed by fuel pump relay recalls.

"No valid evidence was presented in support of claims related to air bag non-deployment, unintended acceleration or fire" due to problems with the power control modules, the agency wrote. "These claims were found to be wholly without merit based on review of the field data and design of the relevant systems and components."

In September of last year, Fiat Chrysler recalled nearly 189,000 2011 Grand Cherokees and Dodge Durangos to fix the fuel pump relays. Then it added 338,000 2012 and 2013 vehicles in February.

NHTSA said additional investigation was unlikely to bring a finding of a safety defect, so it denied the petition.

Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the center, said he considers the two recalls a victory because the fuel pump relay is part of the power control module. The only remaining issue, he said, is whether all the vehicles with stalling problems were covered by the recalls.

"We're going to continue to monitor this," he said.

SOURCE

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
More than 500,000 Chrysler vehicles have now been recalled

Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2015

Recall: More than 500,000 Chrysler vehicles have now been recalled

Georgians who drive 2012-2013 Dodge Durangos and Jeep Grand Cherokees should watch their mail for a recall letter announcing the fix for a problem that consumer investigator Jim Strickland highlighted months ago.

Nick Cooper of Barrow County told Strickland about stalling problems with his Durango. The same day that Channel 2 aired the video in February, Fiat Chrysler expanded a recall from 2011 models like Cooper’s to include those from 2012 and 2013.

More than 500,000 vehicles have now been recalled to fix the fuel system component in an under-the-hood electronic brain known as a TIPM. Cooper's recall appears to have solved his stalling.

"It was more or less a patch, a roundabout way of fixing the issue without replacing the total problem," he said.

Federal regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have decided that those recalls are action enough. The agency has dropped any further investigation into complaints of TIPM malfunctions in nearly two dozen other models.

"Here you have NHTSA not even investigating the TIPM module and giving it a clean bill of health, which is just wrong," auto safety advocate Clarence Ditlow said.

Ditlow had petitioned for the investigation and a recall of 4.7 million TIPM-equipped cars

"What NHTSA's not considering is these cars are stalling on the roads, and they are accidents waiting to happen," he said.

A separate class-action settlement expected to be finalized next month will reimburse drivers who got repairs before the recall. It also covers only three model years of Grand Cherokees and Durangos.

Drivers of other cars are involved in a second lawsuit filed in New York.

"Consumers are still having TIPM modules fail in these vehicles.They're paying $1,100 to $1,200 to get them repaired," Ditlow said.

A spokesman for Fiat Chrylser said the company won't comment about court cases until they're finalized.

The company issued a blanket statement that its cars meet federal safety standards.

SOURCE

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Chrysler Agrees to Settle Dodge and Jeep TIPM Lawsuit

Chrysler Agrees to Settle Dodge and Jeep TIPM Lawsuit
TIPM lawsuit settlement reached that affects 500,000 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs.

09/20/2015

Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee TIPM problems will finally be fixed after a federal judge granted preliminary approval to a "totally integrated power module" (TIPM) class-action lawsuit. The original lawsuit included numerous Chrysler models, but the settlement agreement includes over 500,000 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs.

The settlement stipulates Fiat Chrysler is not admitting a defect or that a liability exists and the automaker has only decided to settle to avoid costly long-term litigation.

The TIPM lawsuit alleges Chrysler sold and leased model year 2011-2013 Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs equipped with defective "totally integrated power modules, which allegedly cause a variety of electrical problems including non-starting, stalling and fuel pump problems.

The plaintiffs claim Dodge and Jeep owners have spent a small fortune on unneeded repairs for batteries, fuel pumps and other car parts, all while the real trouble was caused by defective TIPMs.
Chrysler ordered a recall in September 2014, but that recall included only the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs. Then in February 2015, another recall was ordered for the 2012-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs.

As part of the settlement agreement, Chrysler acknowledges that finalization of the terms of the agreement is based on a voluntary recall of 2012-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs to install a stronger pump relay external to the TIPM-7. The recall is based on findings the SUVs can experience failures in the fuel pump relay within the TIPM-7 that could result in a stall condition or the inability to start the SUVs.

Chrysler says in the recall notices sent to owners, it has offered, or will offer affected owners reimbursement for out-of-pocket costs for prior repairs of the TIPM defect. Owners can get back the $1,100 to $1,200 repair cost of a TIPM-7 module and for the cost of a rental vehicle.

As part of the settlement agreement, Chrysler will reimburse owners for costs for prior repairs including an offer to reimburse part and labor costs for not only the fuel pump relay condition, but also related parts and labor and rental car costs so long as such expenses are supported by appropriate documentation.

However, FCA US will make an attempt to locate the documentation if the owner cannot provide it.

Chrysler also agreed to extend the warranty period for the external fuel pump relays installed in accordance with the recalls. Owners of the 2011-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs are covered by a 3-year/36,000-mile warranty on certain vehicle components.

The warranty extension will cover a period of seven years from the original date of sale of the vehicle or 70,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. The automaker agrees that it will repair or replace the external fuel pump relay free of charge during this extended warranty period.

The Center for Auto Safety (CAS) tried to wake-up the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about Chrysler TIPM problems, but the government ignored CAS and never opened an investigation even though years of complaints stacked up about the Dodge and Jeep TIPMs.

"The Safety Act requires NHTSA to grant or deny a defect petition in 120 days. NHTSA took 337 days to deny CAS’ Defect Petition, failed to obtain a single document from Velasco [the plaintiff] including ones that showed Chrysler began an investigation more than a year earlier than it told NHTSA, and used the 337 days to construct a strawman denial of the CAS Petition." - Clarence Ditlow, Center for Auto Safety

The Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee TIPM class-action lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California - Velasco, et al. v. Chrysler Group LLC.

The plaintiffs are represented by Girard Gibbs LLP, and Schneider Wallace Cottrell Konecky Wotkyns, LLP.
SOURCE

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
2007 Dodge Nitro - Tipm problems

Published on Dec 10, 2015

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tipm Repairs

I hope that someone can give me some insite on the truck that I am so sorry I purchased! 2008 Nitro SLT. And of course the Tipm went out and I managed to replace it. It ran good for two freaking days, now the light in the dash board are coming on again, and it hesitates at any where from 20 to 70- miles per hour. So now Dodger dealer wants it back to run tests. Its the ABS, Traction light, EAP, light that comes on and then it starts to hesitate. I have heard all the nightmares about the tipm repairs and now they don't last long before another is needed, can anyone give me some ideas. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Welcome KamKam5

Have you read this THREAD below?

Sorry to hear about your Nitro issue.

Guess you have already reset the new TIPM again by disconnecting the battery?

TIPM (complete power loss)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome KamKam5

Have you read this THREAD below?

Sorry to hear about your Nitro issue.

Guess you have already reset the new TIPM again by disconnecting the battery?

TIPM (complete power loss)
Yes I did, and I still ended up taking it to Dodge to have it computer reset and it lasted for two days, ran really good. Then the lights started come on in the dash board, door locks, started this morning, and the headlights coming on without the truck on. I like the truck but this is so depressing and I have only had it two years. thanks for your reply :}

·
Registered
5 Posts
PCM Issue? 2008 Nitro R/T 4.0

Hello to whomever wants to reply,

I have a minor issue with my 2008 Nitro R/T. It has less than 60,000 miles on it, but I'm experiencing code related issues over the 02 sensors. I have replaced all 4 at least three times already but even after replacing the sensors and resetting the codes I still get codes that are pointing towards the sensors. The last time I replaced them was yesterday and this morning all 4 went off again. Could this be a PCM issue, or is it something else? Today on my way home from Church it started to run extremely rough as though the plugs were fowled, but then it smoothed out. Two days ago it did a simlar thing at a football game, but at the stop sign of the school parking lot. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Brian what codes are you seeing and addressing? Have you re-set your Nitro computer by disconnecting the battery to clear it and then reconnecting it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
P0158, P0161, P0032, P0038, P0052, P0058, P0138, P0141 I think one of these were for the temp sensor but I'm not sure which one it is. I just need to know if the pcm is the culprate. if not, then I need to figure out what is causing the electrical issue causing the 02 sensors to go bad.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
WOW with all those codes I would lean to the PCM.

You have replaced the original battery by now, right? A battery can cause many issues, too.

Getting a used PCM out of a junk yard and having the dealer put it in since they need to flash the module so it will work with your exact Nitro. I mean the PCM may not be your issue but then again its always a possibility. But i will say....make sure the PCM is your last resort. do everything you can to diagnose the issue and then if all else fails go to the PCM.

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts

Dodge Nitro ENGINE COMPUTER ECU ECM PCM "Plug & Play" Hassle-Free - ACR Quality
Pre-Programmed, Lifetime Warranty, 100% Proven Feedback

(Fits: 2008 Dodge Nitro)

Remanufactured
US $249.00

This above link is shown on E-bay

Another LINK:

2008 08 Dodge Nitro ECM PCM Engine Control Module

This part (2008 08 Dodge Nitro ECM PCM Engine Control Module) is compatible with:

2008 Dodge Nitro

Please Note:
If your part is not listed
Call 1-888-875-2958
(We'll probably have it in-stock offline)

This listing covers all motor sizes,transmissions,and emissions types.

This Module is Plug-and-Play:
Just Put it in and Drive, no need to visit the dealer!

When you receive your part, it will be fully programmed to your exact VIN & mileage, and ready to run in your vehicle. All of the latest software updates available from Dodge will be installed. No additional programming will be needed.

How it works:
1. You pay us.
2. We ship your order with pre-paid return label.
3. You return your old computer.
4. Your 1 year warranty begins when we receive your old computer.

Good Luck and let us know how it all works out.

All Computer Resources is a team of highly trained I.T. Professionals in South Florida. We have 15 years of industry experience providing excellent services to a wide scope of companies. At ACR we strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. We only use top of the line Hardware and Software for all of your needs. We do this to ensure the minimal downtime, because we care about making your experience as pain-free as possible. We will not rest until our clients are satisfied.

Our contact information

All Computer Resources, Inc.
12415 SW 136 Ave Suite #2
Miami, FL 33186

Toll Free 1-866-699-5230

[email protected]

Shipping Information:

The process:

Once you pay for the computer we will ensure your computer is programmed using the VIN and Mileage which you provide, leave the rest to us. It will also be installed with all the updates directly from the dealer. Once the module is shipped you will have 14 days to return the core for the LIFETIME WARRANTY! All orders take 2 full business days to process. Subject to a $100 core charge if core is not returned.

Warranty & Return:

If for some reason the part malfunctions within the warranty period, the defected unit must be shipped back and another unit will be programmed and returned to you quickly. If the wrong part is ordered there will be a 20% restocking fee minus any shipping charges and refund will be issued timely.

http://allcomputerresources.com/

·
Registered
5 Posts
2008 Nitro R/T 4.0

Thanks for the info...this site has a lot of interesting articles and I respect all those, you included that go out of your way to help people like me. I will look at this and make a call on it this week. I just found it hard to believe this all happened to a vehicle with less than 60,000 miles on it. I will keep in touch on this and let you know what the status is over the codes as well.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
How to: Change TIPM

Published on May 19, 2015

Quick how to on how to replace your Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) - our issues was the wipers not working on delay settings or any settings. in the video you can see the wipers hardly working and getting stuck. this module controls

21 - 40 of 57 Posts