Dodge Nitro Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
TIPM Repair, Test, and Bypass Solutions

Published on Sep 18, 2015

If your 2007-2014 Dodge, Jeep, or Chrysler vehicle fails to start due to a bad fuel pump relay on the TIPM (fuse box), or your fuel pump continues pumping after turning the vehicle off (draining your battery), this tutorial along with our free website instructions may provide a solution. Visit http://verticalvisions.com/TIPM_solut... for details. You'll be able to build your own cable to test your fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and bypass a defective fuel pump relay. We also build these cables for those who can't.

Applicable to (as tested by us or reported by others):
2011-2012 Dodge Durango
2011-2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2008, 2011-2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
2011-2012 Dodge Ram 1500/2500
2008-2012 Chrysler Town and Country
2011-2012 VW Routan
2007-2012 Jeep Wrangler
2010 Dodge Journey
2008-2010, 2012 Jeep Liberty
2007-2009 Dodge Nitro
*Other vehicles apply, but have not been tested/confirmed yet.

As many have discovered, the failure of a simple $5 fuel pump relay has affected many 2010-2014 Dodge/Chrysler vehicles and recalls have been issued. Additional TIPM repair options are available on our website.

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Dodge Nitro, horn blaring going crazy. TIPM

Uploaded on Nov 4, 2010

This is my 2008 Dodge Nitro R/T 4.0L going crazy because a faulty TIPM “Total Integrated Power Module”. After my car being in for service in 2010 three separate times and one replacement TIPM and the new TIPM going bad after one 6 months. I have just lived with this and don’t drive the vehicle unless I have to. I also keep the battery unhooked if I am not driving it. There have been many reports on **************** of Dodge Nitros burning to the ground because of this TIPM problem.

Forum post from mechanic are reporting that after opening the TIPM they are finding moisture and dust to be causing these modules to fail because of shorting circuits in the relays. Also the TIPMs are not fused off the battery so if the Relays shorts they are direct shorted to ground. There are many images on the forums showing ground cables under the TIPM with no insulation remaining on the cables, there completely burnt.

Update 11/19/2015:
Chrysler/Fiat got to love the Fiat part has come out with a “newer” TIPM. Mine maybe not yours you should do your research was PART:KAB0CC04E7 ASM DATE: 02/19/2015 TEMIC: 04692235AH. This part from what I have heard fixes the problem for the 2008 R/T. I have installed this item myself in my Nitro. I am going on 3 months now and I have not had any problems. But it did take the last TIPM replacement 6 months to falter.

Problem with the OLD TIPM, horn randomly blaring, coming out to all my windshield wiper flood squirted out all over the car, door locking themselves -never leave your keys in the car or the car running with the kids in it, seat heater randomly not working, steering wheel controls randomly not working, headlight coming on for 5 second then going off and flashing three times not to come back on - But fog lights always got me home, remote start not working further the 2 foot away, battery drain- couldn’t leave the car longer than three days without driving it.
All the items above are fixed after replacing the TIPM.

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Dodge TIPM

Published on Dec 18, 2016

Dodge TIPM. The totally integrated power module fails and needs repairing, reset or replacement often. My issue was the headlights not working. Only a few have been recalled to date.

Defective TIPM symptoms include but are not limited to:
No start at all
No start the first time
Airbags not deploying during a crash but will go off at random
Starter cranks until it burns out
Horn not working or going off randomly
Power windows possessed
Wipers not working or going off randomly
Fuel pump doesn't turn off after engine is off
Engine no start or stalling
Doors locking or unlocking themselves
Headlights not working
No beams
No high beams
No brake lights
Dash lights multiple issues
Radio not working
Stalling

Other Vehicles that have a TIPM installed 2007 - 2015:

Chrysler 300, Grand Voyager and Town and Country.

Dodge Durango, Grand Caravan, Journey, Nitro, Ram 1500, Ram 2500, Ram 3500, Ram 4500, Ram 5500 and Ram Cargo Van

Jeep Grand Cherokee, Liberty and Wrangler

Vehicles with a recall: Dodge Durango 2011, 2012, 2013
Dodge Nitro 2007
Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011
Jeep Wrangler 2007

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Totally Integrated Power Modules

Published on May 21, 2012

Totally Integrated Power Modules Product Management Interview

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
TIPM Repair, Test, and Bypass

Published on Sep 18, 2015

If your 2007-2016 Dodge, Jeep, or Chrysler vehicle fails to start due to a bad fuel pump relay on the TIPM (fuse box), or your fuel pump continues pumping after turning the vehicle off (draining your battery), this tutorial along with our free website instructions may provide a solution. Visit http://verticalvisions.com/TIPM_solut... for details. You'll be able to build your own cable to test your fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and bypass a defective fuel pump relay. We also build these cables for those who can't.

Applicable to (as tested by us or reported by others):
2011-2012 Dodge Durango
2011-2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2008-2016 Dodge Grand Caravan
2011-2012 Dodge Ram 1500/2500
2008-2016 Chrysler Town and Country
2009-2012 VW Routan
2007-2016 Jeep Wrangler
2009-2010 Dodge Journey
2007-2012 Jeep Liberty
2007-2011 Dodge Nitro
*Other vehicles apply, but have not been tested/confirmed yet.

As many have discovered, the failure of a simple $5 fuel pump relay has affected many 2010-2016 Dodge/Chrysler vehicles and recalls have been issued. Additional TIPM repair options are available on our website.

For further information, please visit our website: Vertical Visions - TIPM Test/Bypass Cables and Repairs, Engineering Services

Please make sure you understand the capabilities, advantages, and limitations of these cables.

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
How to change the Fuel Pump Relay in Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep TIPM

Published on Jul 7, 2015

In this video I show you how to replace de internal Fuel Pump Relay in a Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep TIPM. This is a 2009 Dodge Ram TIPM . But applies to Cherokee, Ram, Durango, Aspen, Caliber, Patriot, Compass, Voyager,Avenger, 300, 200, Charger, and all with internal Fuel pump relay.

Buy the relay in http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PCS-NEC-TOK... http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/N...
Thanks for watching and please subscribe!!.

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
How to: Change TIPM ( Totally Integrated Power Module)

Published on May 19, 2015

Quick how to on how to replace your Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) - our issues was the wipers not working on delay settings or any settings. in the video you can see the wipers hardly working and getting stuck. this module controls
The vehicles can temporarily or permanently:

Not start the first time
Not start at all
Fail to keep running once started
Have fuel pumps that won't shut off
Stall

"A failed TIPM causes malfunctioning of airbags, headlights, brakes, horns, wipers, windows, door locks and other components that rely on electrical functions, Weitz & Luxenberg explained. Worse, a failed TIPM can cause a vehicle's engine to shut down unexpectedly while driving at high speeds"

Published on Aug 8, 2017

so since this video go a lot of attention and requests ... here is part 2 . with audio and talking and no reading. and even replying to comments. as always we welcome your feed back.

Quick how to on how to replace your Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) - our issues was the wipers not working on delay settings or any settings. in the video you can see the wipers hardly working and getting stuck. this module controls
The vehicles can temporarily or permanently:

Not start the first time
Not start at all
Fail to keep running once started
Have fuel pumps that won't shut off
Stall

"A failed TIPM causes malfunctioning of airbags, headlights, brakes, horns, wipers, windows, door locks and other components that rely on electrical functions, Weitz & Luxenberg explained. Worse, a failed TIPM can cause a vehicle's engine to shut down unexpectedly while driving at high speeds"

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
How To Remove & Install Your TIPM

Sep 21, 2017
Email: [email protected] Call: 818-793-7888

Mak shows you how to remove and install your TIPM, including a hard reset and all the tools you need to get it done.

If you are interested in purchasing a rebuilt TIPM from us, or getting your TIPM repaired, please contact us at 818-793-7888 or email us at [email protected]

We have rebuilt hundreds of tipm's for our customers at a fraction of the cost of going to the dealers! Feel free to contact us with any questions! Have a great day :)

How To Remove & Install Your TIPM (Fuse Box) & Hard Reset - Full Step by Step Tutorial!
Category

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
UPDATED: How To Remove & Install Your TIPM

Jul 16, 2018
Here is the most updated step by step tutorial on how to remove & install a new or rebuilt TIPM / fuse box on your Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep vehicle, and do the hard reset to install yourself! Feel free to contact us below with your tipm needs!

Email: [email protected] Call: 818-793-7888 or 818-798-5558

Visit our website to shop for rebuilt & new tipms / repairs:
http://tipmrebuilders.com

Mak shows you how to remove and install your TIPM, including a hard reset and all the tools you need to get it done.

If you are interested in purchasing a rebuilt TIPM from us, or getting your TIPM repaired, please contact us at 818-793-7888 or email us at [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tipm

My 2011 Nitro Heat started doing an interesting thing. The dash lights come on and the car will shut off. It will take several minutes before it will start again. The gauge needles do not return to the off position while this is happening. Once they go down power is back and the car will start. My research seems to point to the TIPM needing to be replaced but I need feedback.

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Yes you could be right, BUT have you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery? Do you have a battery that is not more than 3 years old?

We have a Thread on TIPM below but after rereading your post it is doubtful that a 2011 Nitro would have this issue.

Dodge Nitro TIPM: totally integrated power module

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have disconnected the battery which is two years old. I have pulled the TIPM out and left the battery disconnected with the cables shorted together over night. The issue started with the airbag light coming on sometimes then it would go off. Then the issue with the dash lights coming on and everything going dead started. This will happen whether I'm driving or stopped. Sometimes everything comes back on and the vehicle will come back on by itself within seconds and other times it goes dead and stays that way. I have to disconnected the battery leads to get it back to normal and be able to start it. There have been several threads within the forum stating these exact symptoms and the TIPM was listed as the cause. But I like to exhaust all possibilities if they have proven to work.

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Axel

If you review those that have an issue with their TIPM it is usually Nitro Owners of 2007/2008 NOT 2011. Was their an incidence with your Nitro? When you checked your TIPM did you check to see if anything had been jarred loose and not fully seated? Are you considering a rebuilt replacement? Sorry to hear of your issues and it looks like I don't have any answer that is helpful. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
Chrysler TIPM Diagnostics

The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is the gateway or distribution box for nearly the entire electrical system in late-model Chrysler products. Its main purpose is to take the commands from various switches and other modules and send those commands in the form of voltage or ground to wherever it needs to go. You name the electrical system, and chances are, it runs through the TIPM. But, the TIPM isn’t without its own faults.

Customer complaints are endless when it comes to power management problems with the TIPM. From no-starts and intermittent problems to the common assessment by customers that, “My car is possessed,” these modules can be a real headache. No matter what the circumstances, if it’s got a TIPM under the hood, chances are you’ll be diagnosing a problem regarding an electrical function on the car that runs through the TIPM.

Here are a few of the most common issues I’ve seen over the years.

The fuel pump not turning off
The air bag light stays on with no service codes
The engine stalling while driving
The starter cranks but won’t start
The horn going off at random times
Power windows not working
Doors locking or unlocking themselves
Intermittent blower motor
Trailer lighting issues
Coolant fans inoperative
No-start signal
Wiper issues
Reverse lights intermittent or not functioning
ABS problems
No A/C
Radio shuts off while driving
The customer hears a whining sound, similar to an electrical relay partially making contact while it is parked in the garage.

Some of the other common problems you’ll see are not so much the TIPM’s fault but are generated by the vehicle owner themselves. An example might be a customer adding a snow plow with super bright headlights wired to the factory low beams, which overloads the factory circuits. For some, the thought never occurs that they shouldn’t overload the electrical circuit beyond its natural capacity.

I try to inform these customers of the way today’s vehicles are designed, which is to carry the load for which it was originally designed and not for supporting various accessories. Additional features should be added as an entirely separate circuit straight to the battery source with their own fuses or breakers. These should never be tied into the factory systems. Trailer lights are a biggie. I still find vehicle owners who instead of using the trailer lighting leads, will just sling a few wires with scotch locks onto the factory taillights. They’re just asking for problems.

The cost of TIPMs varies. Some are as little as a few hundred bucks while others can run close to a thousand dollars. Of course, there are a few adventurous souls out there who will take the TIPM apart, replace the burned-out relays and patch the board up or create some sort of bypass for those sections that fail more than others, such as the fuel pump or starting systems. But, I’d like to think if there is a problem with the design, it needs to be addressed by the engineers of the vehicle systems, who can make the improvements and modifications. Mainly, I don’t want to take the responsibility of saying that I fixed a TIPM problem and then have the customer come back with another complaint and having to start from scratch.

For all their issues, diagnostic work on these systems is pretty straightforward. You should always check all the powers and grounds to the TIPM then check the connections as well as the inputs and outputs. Once you have narrowed down the TIPM as the source of the problem, the replacement is simple. Even though technically the TIPM does not need to be programmed, it does need to be configured to the car. Therefore, a “Restore Vehicle Configuration” will be needed, which requires the VIN to be entered into the TIPM.

One method that seems to work well, but not all the time, is to close the hood and turn the ignition key to the “RUN” position while waiting at least twelve seconds. The TIPM will collect the necessary vehicle configuration and VIN data from the PCM on its own. After twelve seconds, turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position and then back to the “ON” position and verify proper vehicle system operation. Of course, the PCM (and CCN) has to be in working order for it to function properly. I’ve had limited success with this method because the tire ratio may not transfer over. That’s when I have to break out the scanner. On some occasions, even though it’s rare, the anti-theft system locks out the starting signal, which requires getting the four-digit security code from the dealer and using a scanner to restore the theft deterrent system.

For those using the factory scanner or its equivalent, try this method:

Install a battery charger.
Verify that the charging rate provides approximately 13.5 volts. NOTE: Do not allow the charger to time out during the reconfiguration process. Set the battery charger timer (if so equipped) to continuous charge.
Connect the CH9410 StarSCAN ethernet cable to the StarSCAN and to the dealer’s network site.
Connect the CH9404 StarSCAN vehicle cable to the StarSCAN and the vehicle.
Place the ignition in the “RUN” position, then power “ON” the StarSCAN.
Select “ECU View.”
Select “TIPMCGW” or “FCMCGW.”
Select “MISC.”
Select “Restore Vehicle Configuration.”
Follow prompts on StarSCAN to complete the reconfigure procedure.
Once complete, wait one minute and turn the ignition key to the “OFF” position.
Remove the StarSCAN unit, cable, and charger from the vehicle.
Verify proper operation.

With some of the aftermarket scanners, you might actually have to drive the vehicle and then come to a stop, rotate the steering wheel and press on the brakes in order to get the ABS to sync.

On some of the models, the TIPM is on national back order, meaning, it’s more likely the sun will burn out before you get a replacement part. But, they’re working on it. Hopefully, a reasonable and affordable replacement is manufactured before these cars end up in the scrapyard. As a technician, the repair is simple. As a consumer, well, it’s sometimes hard to comprehend that it’s going to cost more than a few hundred bucks just to get the reverse lights working again. In the end, that’s just the way it is when it comes to solving TIPM problems on late-model Chrysler products.

SOURCE

·
Super Moderator
23,122 Posts
How To Do a Hard Reset On Your Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Vehicle TIPM / Fuse Box

If you are interested in purchasing a rebuilt TIPM from us, or getting your TIPM repaired, please contact us at 818-793-7888, email us at [email protected], or visit our website a http://www.tipmrebuilders.com.

Visit our website to shop for tipms and more info:
http://tipmrebuilders.com

Mak from Mak's TIPM Repair shows you how to do a battery hard reset, to fix many electrical issues you may have been having with your Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep vehicle - Or to install a rebuilt TIPM you may have purchased from us.

We have rebuilt hundreds of tipm's for our customers at a fraction of the cost of going to the dealers! Feel free to contact us with any questions! Have a great day :)

How To Do a Hard Reset On Your Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Vehicle TIPM
[/B][/COLOR]

41 - 57 of 57 Posts